Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BCY

Fuji Low Rider guides

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I'm looking for some advice on which rod blank to use for the Fuji Low Rider guides. I will be using the rod primarily for jigging the Canal with 3-6 ounce jigs. I will be matching the rod with an Van Staal 200. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. I currently have the AllStar 1209 blank with a Nautil 7500 so that would be my reference setup.

B,

I've built a couple of surf rods with Low Riders, here's my take. First, they're designed for surf spinners using braided line, specifically. It's best to use a modified version of Fuji's set up.

The guides are really designed for long sticks, 12.5' and up, but I've used them on an 11' XRA 1322 with good results. The other rod I used the LRs on is a 13.5' Rainshadow(12.5' extended 1'). On the 11' I set up for a VS250 and the 13.5' for a Daiwa EMblem X5000A.

THe Daiwa works very well with the LRs due it its design as a long distance caster. The VS on the other hand is not as well suited for distance casting, but you can make it work with the LRs. The 11'/VS combo casts well though I'm not sure its a huge difference. The 13.5' with the Daiwa is an amazing thing to cast and I think the low riders make a huge difference.

To answer your question, the Allstar 1418 is probably a good choice for you. Or you can by a Rainshadow SUR1418, which is the same blank for a few bucks less. It's an 11'9" blank, rated (or should i say mis-rated) at 1-3 oz. The rating is probably more like 2-6(as Rainshadow lists it). I understand that some prefer rods a bit shorter than this at the ditch for backcast clearance reasons, but you'd know better than me. My reason for a longer rod is that I think the low irders are better suited to long sticks.

There are a few guys here that know the ditch and what rods work well there. Maybe guys like Ditch Jigger, slipknot and Saltheart will chime in.

[This message has been edited by Oznavad (edited 11-30-2002).]

Oznavad,

Thanks for the input on the AllStar 1418. I will check out the specifications on that blank. I do have a Daiwa Emblem X4500A so I can use it on the rod too. I'm looking to be able to reach those holes that always seem to be out of reach. Hopefully I can have the rod made up this winter and jig up some Canal cod. That would be a great way to break in the new rod.

If I may add to Oz's commentary,which by the way is right on,the LR's ARE best suited for longer rods especially when it comes to the flexing section of the blank.While the LR's are low they are also LONG so that if you located you guides for smooth,little-or-no-angle line flow and proper loading the guides will be so close together that they kill the action and recovery qualities of your rod.If you do use them make bloody sure to do a stress distribution test.Neil

As far as I know the lower rider guides were developed by Fiji to compete with the Diawa, Interline rod. They are best suited for competition distance casting and a conventional reel is used. They work very well on longer blanks. I am trying them on a shorter blank (lami 132) but I have found that the reel releases the line at such a rate that there appears to be a line wave in front of the first guide. With a prperly loaded longer blank this problem does not seem to exist witha properly executed cast.

just my $.02

Actually if one goes to the FUji site and has a translator,not to mention check-out the pictures and charts and graphs you'll find that the stated purpose of the LR guides is"for casting aerodynamically efficient,concentrated mass lures with braided line and tournament(long cast)spinning reels.The idea being to apply the New Guide Concept with the LR's frame design to prevent wind knots and tip wraps with braid and achieve a bit more distance.Neil

Greetings,

I had a 9' 2 piece rod built up this year with the low riders and I like the rod very much. It is a 2 piece Allstar/Breakaway 1085-2. While I do not build rods myself I have had quite a few built for me by different people over the last 10 years and I would have to say that this rod is one of the nicest. It loads well, casts well and I believe that the low riders allow for maximum use of the blanks power in both casting and fish fighting. While I have read that these guides were developed for longer rods and distance casting they seem ok on at least this rod that I have. One thing that the builder did do was the first 5 guides were reversed so as to lower the potential of knot hangups and reduce the wave in the line coming off of the reel.

So for what it is worth I have low riders on a shorter surf rod and I like them. Just my opinion.

Mark