Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianZ

reel seat ?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Al,

I am thinking of moving a reel seat down the butt of a rod that i recently unloaded off a real nice guy, the butt is a tad long for me.

My question is what is the easiest way to get the seat off without damaging the blank?

Brian, if it's just a tad too long, cutting the butt would sure be whole lot less mess and aggravation, plus you're gonna be stuck with having to go to reelseat with a large enough i.d. to install from the butt end of the rod which might be bigger than you'd want and then there's all the grip work to redo cwm24.gif Get out da dremel tool or hacksaw wink.gif

Bill,

You're rite, it was mentioned to by a nice fella that goes by the name of tim 'round these parts that that's probably what i should do, i just figured i'd ask around first to see if anybody else had any easier fixes. thanx smile.gif

Brian, you can either grow longer arms, redo the whole butt section after removing the reel seat...or, like I told ya the other night -

ziiiiipppp!!

Ain't nuttin' easier than movin' the butt cap up a few inches wink.gif

TimS

TimS

Comes with the turf when you buy a custom from a guy who's 8 inches taller than yer biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Fortunately, I hear he only takes a 32" sleeve wink.gif. Coulda been worse, you could have bought it from Ron Arra who's 3 inches taller than the nice guy you mentioned.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 05-04-2001).]

View PostBrian, you can either grow longer arms, redo the whole butt section after removing the reel seat...or, like I told ya the other night -

TimS

This is an old thread I found when searching to see if you could move a real seat. I have a factory 10' rod I prefer not to shorten.....but would like to move the real seat.

If I am willing to pay for a new seat/cork tape etc. is this feasible?

Would I be taking a "big" risk in doing this? or is this pretty simple (just cost time & money wink.gif). I would like to do this......just don't want to jeopardize the blank/rod.

Thanks for any input.

keep in mind that this is the first piece of rodbuilding advice I have ever given, and I don't know my ___ from my elbow about the rest of the process

but i just cut a fuji graphite seat off of a blank with no issues, using a cordless multi-tool (the oscilating blade kind). I clamped it in a vise with a towel around it to protect it, and used a board as a fence to keep the blade at a safe angle. I went nice and slow, and when I got far enough I finished it with a mini hacksaw and a utility knife. It came off nice and clean, but this particular rod had a decent amount of space underneath the real seat so there was about 1/8" of epoxy/tape under there it turned out.

once you get the seat off it is all downhill from there.

whoops, just realized you were talking about having it done by a pro. I'm sure you'd have to waive your right to be compensated should there be a problem, because they couldnt be asked to eat the cost of a new rod.

I'm sure the right person (not even necessarily a rod builder) wouldn't screw up though.