Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nano

Lami 1081L vs Sabre 1087

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi,Al and all,

I plan to get a 9' blank for jetty fishing (spinning, braided line). I am thinking either a Sabre 1087 or a Lami 1081L (both are rated to 2 1/2 oz). Any body has experience on both rods that can give me a comparison? Currently I am using a Loomis SU965 rated 1/2- 1 1/2 oz. Am looking for a blank a bit longer and can handle heavier lures.

thanks.

Tough call on that one--they're both good blanks. The Sabre--at least the blank I have, it's an older 1087--has a softer action, more parabolic. The Lami is stiffer and has a faster taper.

Never taken anything big on the 1087, but it has wrestled fish into the teens away from nasty bridge abutments.

I am only familiar with the Lami 108 and have been fishing it for many years. I hear the Sabre 1087 is a good blank as well but I have not fished or built one. Alot of the board members use the Sabre 1087 and like it.

Al G.

Hi, Todd,

I could not find any online store that carries Arra series blank. any suggestion?

Another question, on your web site I saw you have some 7',6.5' tri-flex rods on sale. what are the rating for lure weight? for example,for BL7020c. Also, what is an "OEM blank"? I don't see any ratings for lure weight either.

The two blanks that you have mentioned are two of my favorite blanks for medium plugging. I have built a few dozen custom rods on different blanks manufactures that are using the 1087 model series. One thing that you that I have found over the years is the rating of the rods are not accurate enough. They say you can fish a lure from x to y, but not what the optimum lure weight is over all. After testing rods with different weights I have come up with a formula that will help you when choosing a blank. Now mind you, that this formula is not a 100% proven formula, but it has worked for me for years. You take the highest rating for the rod and times it by .7 and this will give you the optimum casting weight. Not to say you can't throw anything under or over this weight, but the weight that you come up with will give you your best distance and performance. That is why some people have different rods for fishing for one species of fish, it all depends on the lure that they are using. I hope this helps, and if you have anymore questions you can e-mail me.

------------------

Tight lines

Eric "Big Swed"

CustomSurfTackle@aol.com

Nano, OEM blanks are made for a rod mfg., they are usually standard blanks but possibly a different color. These are Certified Pro Travel Fly blanks in 4, 5 & 6 line wts.

The BL rods are the very first runs that we made of this new series then decided to add blue trim bands to them. This series do not have lure ratings. the blank models for these series are "CGBT781L", CGBT781ML, CGBT781M, CGBT841L, & CGBT841M. Al Goldberg is very familiar with this 30 lb model he can tell you about it.

------------------

Todd Vivian

todd@lamiglas.com

http://www.lamiglas.com

The Lami CGBT841M is the blank that was written up in the Fisherman as the Braided Line Rod. I call the rod "The Hammer".

I have fished the blank for the last two years and it's great for chunking and bucktailing bass in a strong tide, deepwater blackfishing, diamond jigging bluefish in deep water and codfishing at Coxes and on wrecks. We even used it on Georges jigging cod up to 300 feet with 17 ounce jigs.

Match it with a 332 or 338 Newell with a 3.6 ratio and 50 lb Power Pro and you have a really sweet set up.

Can't wait to try the other blanks models in the series.

Al G.