Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

Reflection on Rod Building Show in NC

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

It never ceases to amaze me how much more you can learn from talking and seeing someone DO SOMETHING versus simple reading about it in a book--no matter how well written. This is how I felt after leaving the Rod Building/FF show in NC Sunday. A very nice fellow (forgot name) who was at the U-40 booth essential gave me about a 20min tutoial on finishing wraps, etc and took his time to go through even the most basic principles to ensure I was understanding what he was describing. icon14.gif A few of the major suppliers were there (Mudhole, Custom Tackle Supply) so a few odds and ends were picked up as well. Always nice when you can pick up supplies/blanks at 20%. It's very nice to be able to put a face to an email address.

Also had the chance to meet and talk with Todd Vivian from Lamiglas and had a great talk about the Lami Tri-flex line of rods. Oh yeah, I wound up leaving the show with an 8'6" tri-flex. Go figure. redface.gif

I had to get back on the road soon after lunch so I was unable to attend the various seminars that I'm sure I would have benefitted from. Definately the only down side to the trip.

Top to bottom--Great Show! It was good to meet the shakers & movers wink.gif in the Rod Building business--Todd w/Lamiglass & Joe w/American Tackle & Bob w/Baston Enterprises, all the guys at Mudhole, Bob @ Custom Tackle Supply, & ect, ect, ect. The nicest people in the world fish & build rods. smile.gif

Tom Kirkman says that next year may be 2-3 times bigger--definitely worth the trip! wink.gif

Now that a major show promoter knows that a large scale rod building show will be well supported, he'll do more to make it even bigger next year (Barry has already said he'll do it again and has given me greater leeway in promoting to a larger range of builders and fishermen). Yes, I feel certain it will be at least twice as large, if not even larger.

The overall success of the show may also mean that other show promoters may take a different look at rod building shows from this point forward. Who knows, we may be looking at two or three large scale rod building shows each year by the time 2006 rolls around.

Tom,

Thats Great.

I think you'd get a good turnout also if the show was a little further north of the Mason Dixon line. Id travel, but not that far, unless the swedish bikini team or very large bass are waiting for me.. smile.gif

BC