Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XBMX

CONO-FLEX Super Bass

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Been building 15yrs. and neaver seen a Cono-Flex. My customer requested the 11ft SuperBass, received it yesterday and am puzzled by the carbonfiber like outter surface (uneven)not smooth like I expected for something costing what it did. Do you build right on the factory finish or coat first with a product like Permagloss, then build. I'm aware you can do either way, but not having seen one displaed for sale retail, I'ed like to know the industry standard is. Thanks

That blank is ready to go!!

Please don't coat it with anything as it will effect the action

and look even funnier than it does now. It is unsanded is all that's up. When making a blank, the "flag" of material is wrapped on the mandrel, rolled under pressure, wrapped in heat shrink tape and baked in an oven. The tape is then peeled off and that's where Connoflex stops.

That is a really great blank, have fun with it icon14.gif

Both Sanded and unsanded versions of the same rod are quite common in the UK. In the unsanded state more material is left on the blank to give the blank a bit more power. Some, but not all of my Tournamnet rods are unsanded, As are a few of my bass blanks. When wrapping a UK blank I put underwraps only under the feet of the guide and a small over wrap on top. I only flex coat the thread. on each side of the guide and no flex coat in the middle under the ring. Very durable and does help retain the crisp feeling to the rods. Regards Big Dave

Dave,

That leaves bare thread between the guide feet?

Interesting idea for a tourney rod!

You could even cut the thread after the first light coat and strip it out of there for fast underwraps, only under the feet.

I put underwraps only under the feet of the guide and a small over wrap on top. there is no thread at all in the middle of the guide nor any flex coat. I use just enough thread to place the feet of the guide on and just enough to cover the top of the guide foot. On Rods like my Primo Full Tournament and Dymic Bullett I have no underwraps at all. What I did was this. I took the guide and polish the bottom of the foot to make sure there were no burs of the underside of the foot. I never ground a taper in the foot either. I held them in place with a bit of tape and the only wrapped on top of the foot. I did this in reverse by starting at the ring and wrapping out to the begining of the foot and tied off. then flex coated the thread in place. I have yet to have a guide move on me. there is not much thread at all holding the guide in place. The rods are a crisp as can be. I will show these to you when I see you in NJ This April. I'm sure you will shake you head at it. but its strong as can be. Regards Big Dave

Many thanks for the input guys. Have been wraping light action blanks this way for years. Most flyrods done in this fashion.

Do you really this one coat of Permaglos would do anything to the action, it's so thin.

Rich, should read "since my hair was brown and I didn't use glasses", better???

Oh you'll never know it, can't deside (wild or mild). How do you feel about loosing the cork tape?

Just got my first "Ricky" rod a few weeks back and it's a beauty! icon14.gif Thanks again Rick!

Rich - try quick grip over the cork tape. Almost bullet proofs the butt. Rick did a beautiful job with it on my rod.