Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duckwump

Rainshadow 1089 - First Impressions

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

I received this blank a couple of days ago. I plan to make it into a conventional jetty stick. I fish off the Newburyport Jetty and falls are all too common. I needed something that could take a beating on the rocks.

I am not an experienced rod builder but to my eyes, this is a very well-built blank. Very straight, nice gloss finish, lots of strength in the butt and mid sections.

The tip is softer than I expected. It is just a little bit stiffer than a sabre 1088 that I have. (The 1088 is plum-colored but I don't know if it is an original or not.) This softness at may be an advantage since I plan to throw a wide variety of weights and soft baits with it. However, someone wants to get make a rod with a stiffer action using this blank, he may want to take about 4 inches off the tip.

The blank is dense, and I mean that it good sense. It can clearly take a lot of abuse. This is my first first composite blank, so that denseness may be characterisic of them.

In summary, I think it's a very nice blank and the price can't be beat. I plan intall a trigger reel seat, heavy duty hardoloy casting guides, and SIC Tip (UST) on it.

I provide an update once I have fished with it this summer.

Tom