Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jerry

Blank info

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I was doing someone a favor and they went into their basement and brought up a rod blank and gave it to me. I guess my question is 2 part:

The blank is a sabre 2pc. 10' blank and the only markings are "Stroker" and already has a sabre butt on it. Is this a decent blank and what are the weight ratings on it.

Secondly, where can I find info on rod building, I figure that if this is a decent blank, I would have a winter project to keep me busy.

Thanks for any info.

Jerry

Jerry,

Not enough info to comment on the blank. But, at ten feet it's probably a surf blank.

As far a rod building info, as I suggested on earlier threads, buy yourself a copy of "Advanced Custom Rod Building" by Dale Clemens. While it is a little out dated, there is still plenty of good basic information for a beginning rod builder. If you have any questions, please feel free to post them on the Board or email me directly.

Al G.

Al,

I just got a copy of a Clemems catalog and find out their store is in Allentown, PA which is fairly close to me. The catalog lists the book you recommended and states that it's a revised edition. Looks like I'm going to pick up a copy.

Also, I still can't find any more info on the blank other than it's a sabre "classic" and is 10 yrs. old.

Jerry,

I checked the Calstar catalog, which was founded by Leon Todd when he left Sabre, and only found two 10 foot blanks. Both are rated from 20-50 lb and have a #10 tip.

My guess is that it is a surf rod and I would put some guides on and test cast it to see what it can handle.

Al G.