Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ScottO

Flex-coat question

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys, this will be easy for most of you I'm sure. I got the flex coat to do my new rainshadow blank with. Can I use two part epoxy for the grip et all and then just do the guides with the flex coat? Also what about the female end of the top half, flex coat or two part epoxy. Was going to use epoxy to mount the tip top guide too. Thanks, Scott

Glue the grips and seat with the epoxy.Your best bet on the tiptop is 5 min. epoxy as it breaks down easier with heat when you have to change it.(and you eventually will).

What kind of epoxy glue do you have?

Scott - specify exactly what it is that you have. Flex Coat makes epoxy for glueing up the handles/seats, as well as epoxy finish for guide wraps (Lite and Hi build)

I have the devcon 5 and 30 min epoxies, and the flex coat is for the guides(I'll check which formula)...per the place that sold it to me. Sorry, newbie'ism here at it's most. S

O.K.

Use the 30 min. on the grips,seat,and ferrule, and the 5 min on the tip.

The high build,(or lite) goes to the threads.

One thing I promise is the first couple of times will have your hands sticking to everything.Keep some alcohol and rags around to keep things as neat as possible.Or pick up some surgical gloves to minimize the mess.

And don't scratch your headwink.gif

And don't scratch your headwink.gif

While that is funny, it is serious. Some people have bad reactions to epoxy.

Other things to make note of: try to keep hair away from epoxy. I got some in my beard (no idea how, but I did) 2 weeks ago. Didn't realize it till the wife mentioned I had this white goo on my face (Kardol/Rod Bond) Quite funny.

ok...mental note, no nose picking during rod building...Thanks for all the advice guys. Let you know how it makes out when done. Used the 5 minute on two rod repairs and it worked great. Rainshadow blank was a special order so won;t be here for a week or so. Scott

Billy, if you sniff glue, epoxy is not the one to use! wink.gif Scott, if you pick your nose while wrapping, you can call it your goober rod. wink.gif Just bustin on you both, cause I know you guys.

Like Paulie says, use the 5 minn epoxy for the tip top and use the 30 min for the grips and reelseat. (Assuming you are not using metal ferrules) For the female end of the tip half of your blank, make sure you wrap the bottom with some thread approx 1.5 time the diameter (e.g., diam=.2", wrap=.3") and finish with your Flex Coat to prevent the female end from splitting if you happen to push too hard when assembling the rod.

Mrs in bad,

Only 1.5x's the diameter? Last one I wrapped approx the size of a guide wrap to make it look symetrical. Only a small amount on the femal end. Cool