Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gilbey

Pick a Blank

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I have searched and read, and read and searched....I know this has come up before, and recently, but I just can't decide.....

For throwing mostly plugs (plastics, wood, rubber) from the rocks and open beach in the 5/8 to 2 ounce range, wrapped as a spinner and fished w/ braid. Looking for something with s tip soft enough to feel a bomber wiggle at 50 yards and light enough to enjoy school sized fish, not too fast, but with a bit of backbone in the butt when needed.

Thinking either 120 1L or the XRA1204. Which one do you suggest?

Also, I was thinking of chopping 6" off the butt of one of these blanks to lighten it up a bit, bad idea???

Thanks!

Alan

Ditto on the 1204. Best part is, the blank retails for only $10-$20 more than the 120 1L.

The weight you'll save by chopping 6" from the butt is negligible and probably not worth voiding the warranty.

Gilbey, I think the new XRA 1084 9' Rated 1-4oz lures would be an excellent choice for you. The optimum performance casting lure weight is between 7/8 oz to 3oz. One of the reasons this rod was designed because the many years of countless alteration cutting of the XRA 1204 10'one piece blank that was done at the lower Cape, custom rod builders and tackle shops ...especially Nelsons Bait& Tackle Provincetown Ma.