Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Casey

Synthetic cork

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

You mean "Corkalon". It is no longer manufactured. It was a synthetic grip that looked like cork, however, it was heavier and was difficult to work with.

Casey, about all that product did to synthesize cork was to come in a tan color with a cork ring pattern molded into the mediocre grade of EVA. You didn't miss much. Probably some gathering dust here and there; Brielle B&T used to keep some in stock.

Finally caught Al with a mistake it was spelled Korkalon,at least in my old catalog, Bill is correct not only what he said but if it was stored in an area like a garage in the heat the grips actually would split apart or break in half while being applied.There is a fairly new product available in ring form called rubberized cork that is similar to the end ring on factory StCroix blanks.Supposed to be extremely durable but time will tell.

John

Didn't know it was hard to work with. Have one rod w/ it as fore-grip. Feels nice and has worn well even tho it looks a bit fake. If I remember right it needed warming up before applying.

Maybe. I'm thinking of building another heaver in the new year and I like the Korkalon as a fore-grip. Or .. it may be an upgrade to my plugging rod and then I'd go for both grips. Obviously the stuff was not a big hit. I'll PM you when I figure it out.