Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shawn Bell

Springton reservoir in PA?

19 posts in this topic

How is it that they can keep this body of water closed to the public and sell the "lake front" homes all around it and say they are keeping the water safe for us? There are two roads (one of which is the dam holding back the water) where people can do whatever they want to the water? I live minutes away and get pissed off every time I drive by it and kids ask if we can go fishing there!!!!!

I grew up there before all that. We swam, fished ,partied, rode our bikes. It was the kind of place that kept kids from being pussified. We need more places like that around today!

Friend whose life revolves around BASS fishing spent a bit more then he could afford for one of those lake front homes and the taxes that go with that privilege.

We both fished there when it was legal.

Came home from a two day bass tournament to find a chain link fence at the bottom of the hill behind his house with the signs,

Bad enough riding by-but imagine looking out your window.........

Friend whose life revolves around BASS fishing spent a bit more then he could afford for one of those lake front homes and the taxes that go with that privilege.

We both fished there when it was legal.

Came home from a two day bass tournament to find a chain link fence at the bottom of the hill behind his house with the signs,

Bad enough riding by-but imagine looking out your window.........

That fence would have had a hole cut it it right quick, and there would be a fair amount of night fishing going on, if that were my backyard.

Yep-that sounds about right.

The kicker still gets me though- imagine paying for the Lake front privilege and then being denied access.The entire lake front group should put their taxes in an escrow account pending a decision on access or reduced taxes.

Yep-that sounds about right.

The kicker still gets me though- imagine paying for the Lake front privilege and then being denied access.The entire lake front group should put their taxes in an escrow account pending a decision on access or reduced taxes.

Did they pay for a property with lake usage rights or did they just buy a property that happened to be adjacent to a lake? There is a difference.

Sadly, you'd be amazed at how many people with lakefront homes hate seeing anyone USE the lake, beachfront property owners who don't want people walking by, people with homes on a street who hate people parking anywhere on the street for any amount of time or any reason, etc. NIMBYs.

Over in Missouri there is Lake of the Ozarks. Folks were sold lakefront property with inaccurate flood maps (and no doubt a few who ignored the flood maps) and built where they were not supposed to. Now the Corps of Engineers says if even one corner is across the line, the whole structure must go, which in some cases means homes or condo developments. Stay tuned for more lawsuits.

They do not have access. It is a reservoir and the water company shut down access after sept 11 to protect us from any water attacks. Like I said the two roads that cross over it one of which being the dam itself is less like that someone would drive up and drop something in. No the terrorists are going to park in the lot they had and carry the Posion the fifty some yards through the woods to drop it in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Bell View Post

They do not have access. It is a reservoir and the water company shut down access after sept 11 to protect us from any water attacks. Like I said the two roads that cross over it one of which being the dam itself is less like that someone would drive up and drop something in. No the terrorists are going to park in the lot they had and carry the Posion the fifty some yards through the woods to drop it in.

3 roads. Bishop Hollow, Gradyville and 252. Fishermans parking lot WAS at Gradyville and Bishop Hollow. 

Did they pay for a property with lake usage rights or did they just buy a property that happened to be adjacent to a lake? There is a difference.

Well it wasn't the kind of place that you could have a dock & a boat. I remember some canoes- BUT it was a premier legal fishing area. There was a premium for water front as opposed to anywhere else in the surrounding area-starting with 2nd spot on down. Usage rights- you had private waterfront property where your property went to the waters edge. The public had access to anywhere there was not private property.

My best explanation- it's different because it's a reservoir. The premium was for you own little private access.

Just a layman description. My friend bore the financial burden because he had his little slice of his favorite fishing water on his property for over 12 years-then they took it away.

He would have never planned or payed for his own torture.

Well it wasn't the kind of place that you could have a dock & a boat. I remember some canoes- BUT it was a premier legal fishing area. There was a premium for water front as opposed to anywhere else in the surrounding area-starting with 2nd spot on down. Usage rights- you had private waterfront property where your property went to the waters edge. The public had access to anywhere there was not private property.

My best explanation- it's different because it's a reservoir. The premium was for you own little private access.

Just a layman description. My friend bore the financial burden because he had his little slice of his favorite fishing water on his property for over 12 years-then they took it away.

He would have never planned or payed for his own torture.

That's a good description. I agree. Your friend got hosed.

Can't believe they can do that "for our own good"!! The thing that pisses me off the most is they were trying for years to close it down and then sept 11 gave them their chance to strike