Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Al Goldberg

Tog Heaven

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

We had our first tog trip today off Orient Point, what I believe is the Mt. Olympus of Togdom.

I was totally shocked since the water was still warm and the porgies were still around.

We made two drops for the day west of Orient Point. The first was a shallow rockpile in 50 feet of water. We had a good bite of fish from 1-5 lbs on the outgoing tide. Just as the tide began to ease up we ran to a deepwater wreck over 100 feet and had about an hour of solid fishing with fish from 4-8 lbs.

We then moved back inshore to the first spot and finished the day fishing the first of the incoming tide. The bite was intense with the fish ripping the greencrabs off the hook. If you didn't get a fish within 30 seconds then your bait was gone.

Finally, one of the guys decided to live dangerously. Fishing the last shallow water spot, Bobby Z. switched over to his 5.5 foot bay conventional bucktailing rod. Armed with a Penn 965 and spectra line, Bobby was in Tog Heaven banging away at fish to 5 lbs.

The rod looked like a pretzel or wet noodle.

What a day. We all limited out and returned to the dock early. I am pumped now for the big boys.

P.S. There were bones and albies working around Orient Light on the low slack. Didn't se any blues or bass working on the surface, but there were reports of them stacked up off the bottom at Plum Gut and Pigeon Rip.

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 11-04-2000).]

Go ahead, rub it in. To make matters worse they had a nice catch of blacks and bigger porgys plus sea bass on the Shinnecock Star today. And I was landlocked. Oh well. Glad you had a great trip. Gotta call Capt. Bill this weekend to see if the big boys are on the deep wrecks yet. Capt Cary recently had them up to 9#'s plus at Shoreham. Rest those arms!!!! PAPPY