Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Springer

setting reel seat

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Ok this is one of those hind sight questions, I am using aftcote 2 part epoxy to finish my wraps, is it ok to set my reel seat with this as well? Please say yes since I have already done this. I noticed while reading other threads people seem to use a different type of epoxy for the reel seat.

Please say yes??

Um...NO!!

Not really designed for the job and I'd guess it doesn't have the shear srength of the strictly adhesive preparations.

I use Evercoat Epoxy Paste Glue and I get it from our buddies at West. Google Evercoat+Epoxy Paste.

I love the stuff!

So how big of a problem is this? I guess I mean to ask is it likely to fail the first couple of times I use the rod or the first couple of years I use the rod? If it is the first couple of times I will fix it now, if it is the first couple of years, I will probably move on and deal with it later when/if it becomes a problem.

Its a big repair. I would just let it go and see what happens. I wouldn't recommend using any finish for the seat glue but i think you will be alright.

i use the very liquid rodbond for the blanks/seat combos where there is a small gap and I use Kardohl Gel type stuff when the gap is bigger.

Anyway , fish the rod and see what happens. i think it will be OK.

Thanks for the varied suggestions suggestions. I will probably try and run with it. My mistake came when I was debating buying flexcote or aftcote to finish my wraps. The articles page here says you can mount a reel seat with flexcote but I ended up buying the aftcote and didn't make the conection in time. There is definitely a lot to think about when you having a go at this for the first time, and I thought I had all my bases covered.

Salt, thanks for clearing that up! I guess it was somewhat confusing for a dunb a$$ like me. I did a search on how to remove and fix this issue and it seems a bit involved and beyond my capabilities at the moment. I guess if it fails inthe future it will give me an excuse to build another properly.

Sorry to be beating this thread to death but I have one more questions. I was reading here that finishing epoxy (what I used) can be softened with heat. Since I don't have guides on my blank yet, I was thinking I might be able to heat the reel seat with a hair dryer and pull the seat free by pulling it up the blank. Otherwise I would have to cut it. I am not trying to save the seat just trying to figure out the best way to remove it if I choose to do so. Any comments on this??

You could give a hair dryer a try, but whatever you do, you really should change what you glue the reel seat with. I use Rod Bond, it seems to work good. Since you don't have the guides on it yet, I would definitely fix it now.

You might try cutting the seat lengthwise on opposite or 4 sides a Dremel with a cutting blade. Then just get to work removing the seat and flexible coating.

Aftcoat will be fine under the seat, done it on a few of my rods and landed many fis hon them, been a while too....No problems, don't loose ant sleep on it. Onlt reason I switche is due to expense of the rod finish.