Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Catskill John

Please GUIDE me

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

confused.gif Hi All! I am building my first rod, breakaway 1508 that I will use bunker chucking for stripers, reds, and sharks in the Mid Atlantic area. I do have a couple of questions for now.

(1) Which guides would be the best for this set-up? I will be using power-pro at times and mono other times.

(2) Which reel seat is best to use?

(3) After preparing guide feet, I don't plan on underwrapping. Any problem?

(4) I know some builders that use 2 ton epoxy for finishing wraps rather than flex-coat. Any input on this?

I'm sure I'll have a ton of more questions before I'm done, Thanks

By the way-- Great Board ,I'v learned alot from some old and new posts, Thanks again wink.gif

Catskill John, I'm sure that more knowledgeable persons than me will get involved but I'll try to help anyway.

1. Spinning or conventional rod??? I'm not familiar with the blank, but I've seen it listed both ways. This will help determine which guides you will need. 2. On my Surf rods I have been using Fuji DPS Reel seats.

3. I underwrap my surf rods. I have been told that it is personal preference, but I hope it keeps the blank from getting scratched under the guide foot.

4. I do not recommend two ton epoxy as a finish. Get some flex coat, LS Supreme or aftcoat finish and you will be much happier with the results.

I hope this helps.

Tony

John, good choice, the 1508 is a great bait stick. Fuji Hardaloys will work fine, BNLG 30-25-20-16-and enough 12's to finish to a SIC 16 tip.

Fuji makes the biggest variety of seats, take the butt end to your supplier to size up the correct one, probably a DPS26.

For what it's worth I would definetly underwrap the guides, it won't affect rod action on such a heavy stick but will provide a good measure of protection for the blank, you're talking heavy payloads and hopefully large fish here!

Forget the fast set epoxy...Flexcoat or Aftcote

Excellent advice. You definitely want to stay away from 2 ton epoxy for guide wraps. It yellows out and sets up way too fast to work with especially if this is your first rod. You might consider using Silicon Carbide or Silicon Nitride for the tip material since it takes a lot of abuse. Also make sure that the reel you intend to use fits in the reel seat before you put it together. smile.gif

Steve

thanks, your input changed my mind, and saved me some money cwm12.gif on guides, no use going overboard. I will use flex-coat and underwrap, but am concidering using size 25 20 16 16 12 12 12, and 12 tip top. The person I bought the blank from has this set up listed on his sight for the way he wraps this rod. He builds for distance casting. Anyone see a problem with this set up?

THANKS again, John smile.gif

John, I'm new to rod building and just finished my second surf rod. They are 12' two piece blanks for bait casting. Underwraps are a must if you're going to throw any amount of weight. The first one I built had guide sizes of 25, 20, 20, 16, 16, 14, 12, and a 12 tip. I test casted it, and it throws 8 and 12 oz. with no problems. The next one I built had guide sizes of 25, 20, 20, 16, 16, 16, and a 16 tip. I like this better because if you use a shock leader, there is less chance of the knot hanging-up in the smaller guides. The problem is finding a matching tip-top in that size. I also went with the cork tape instead of EVA foam on the grips, but it is a matter of preference. Here are some pic's of the rods, and good luck in building. I also agree with the flex coat high build....Great stuff.

[ 04-08-2005, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: One Gunner ]

Thanks OneGunner, nice pic's. I have all the items needed, think I'll start off with a 12 tip, could always change it later. Just have the reel seat glued on so far, but will have to put it on the back burner for now. Going to the beach next week for 5 days so I have to get the buggy and everything else ready. Nice job on those rods! and welcome to this board. -- John