Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobNoFish

Florida Pier Rod ?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hi Al and All,

On a trip to South East Florida I checked out some fishing piers...they look like an interesting alternative to b.o.a.t fishing.

The equipment I saw in use ranged from, Little Kids and Dad/Mom with Snoopy gear to the regulars staked out at the end of the pier with VS and Shimanos and Loomis's.

My question is... Since the range of fish available seems very greatly; (size and strength) what would be a good all around spinning rod blank?

Reels; I've got! smile.gif

Or is conventional the way to go??

Any thoughts?

Thanks

bob im a fla pier rat myself~! (live in n.m.bch)the thing is ,what is it u would like to fish for ? &when will u be pier fishing in fla~!( what pier?)ect ?

let me know &ill help u out ~!

tight lines&good fishing y~tail

Bobo, here's a rundown from a former South Florida pier rat. Obviously you'll need to pick and choose depending on when you plan to fish.

Light 6-8 pound spinning rod with small Sabikis for catching live pilchards is a must have at all times.

An 8 - 12 pound spinning rod for tossing 5/8 ounce Krocadile spoons in the spring and fall for bluefish and mackeral. This is a good set up for jigging pompano with a pompano jig tipped with a sand flea.

A 706 or VS 250/300 on a heavy 9 foot spinning rod during May and June. There is a "secret" tarpon run off of Anglin's Pier in Ft. Lauderdale. In the afternoon from about 4 - 7:30 they feed off the end of the pier. Wait for the schools to come by and toss them a live horse pilchard, then hold on. If you're a purist, an olive green or black 72M Mirrolure will work sometimes.

A jigmaster size reel on a stout 9 foot rod for fishing bottom baits. The typical rig consists of a 3 - 4 ounce egg sinker on your mainline, then a black barrel swivel. Attach about 2 feet of 50 pound test with a Mustad 9174 2/0 - 4/0, depending on the size of the bait. This rig will catch everything from 1 - 2 pound blues to cobia.

If you let me know when and where you plan to be there, I can give you very specific information instead of being so general.

If you want one good all around spinning rod, I'd go with the Graphite USA SW70LM, which is ideal with 10 - 12 pound test and a VS 100. Obviously, that is not going to cover everything.

Gamakatsu, Yellowtail,

Thanks for the replies.

I'll be based out of Boca Raton.

I'll hopefully be fishing any month of the year...wink.gif

Got the light stuff.

Mainly concerned with Snook, Tarpon, Cobia, Big Stuff!!cwm31.gif

If you folks don't mind...Going to move pier fishing technique questions over to Bottom Fishing Forum. I've got a few!