Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doyle007

fly rod spining

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

i was watching a video last night by L.A. Garcia about building graphite fly rods. he was explaining the spining technicque that he used. he put the tip section on a table, and lifted the butt section into the air. he rolled the rod to find a spine. he then rolled it a bit more, and found another spine. he took the spot in between these two spines, and used that as the effective spine of the rod.

now, from everything that i've read on this site and on other sites, and in dale clemens book, i don't remember anyone talking about taking the midpoint between two spines. i'm currently building a 9' 6wt rod using a rainshadow blank, and i've found the spine on the tip section, but i could only find one spine. also, i put the butt section on the table and lifted the tip into the air to find the spine. am i doing this wrong?

thanks guys.

Some rods it's hard to find any spine. Others have 3 or more. Sometimes 2 spines can be just 30 degrees apart, other times they are nearly 180 degrees. The more rods you play with, the more confusing it can get. It's even weirder with 4 piece or 6 piece rods. One section will have almost no spine, the next 3 spines, the next 2 spines, etc etc.

Then, when you line up all the sections by their strongest spine, and check the rod with the sections all together, you sometimes see a spine that doesn't seem to line up with ANY of the others...

FWIW- I have never heard of going 1/2 way between two spines. It makes no sense to me. Your rod is going to tend to travel towards the spines, so I feel that you are best served orienting the direction of your cast towards the strongest spine.

Try this -

Put the butt of your blank on a marble, set on a smooth, hard floor. Now take a shot glass and set over the tip and press straight down. Let the blank spin and come to rest. The outside of that curve is your effective spine. What you choose to do with it is up to you.

Of course, this technique doesn't work as well with short, stiff, multi-piece rod sections. But it's fantastic on anything over a few feet long.