Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rogerpc

I might want a custom rod

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

OK, I've read enough & think I might want a custom rod built for me. If I tell a builder what I have been using for spinning rod & how I use it & also what I use it for, I assume that he would have enough knowledge to build a rod to near specs altho, I am open to suggestions. Am I right or all wet??? Looking for well respected responses. Thank You, roger Also, anyone here intertested??

[This message has been edited by rogerpc (edited 12-20-2001).]

Roger,

I checked your profile and see you live in New Hampshire. I can recommend several excellent builders in Northern New England. However, I would first like more details to spec out the rod. You are on the righr path with the questions you already mentioned.

Here is a list of questions that need to be answered:

Fishing application? - spinning, conventional, fly, surf, boat, etc.

What fish and method being used?

Lure and line weight range?

Length of rod?

You physical height, weight and arm length?

Average size of fish being pursued?

Are you a novice or experienced fisherman?

Maximum amount you are willing to spend for a custom rod?

I might in decide to take on this commission myself.

Happy Holidays,

Al

My suggestion would be to ask some guys here at SOL (guess that is what you are doing already) for suggestions of builders in your area that are QUALIFIED. There are sooo many options when you go custom. Beware of Hack builders who dont do stress distribution tests on spinners, talk YOU into what they want to build you, and skip the butt-wrap/fancy thread trim stuff if you wanna save money. Most guys get $50 or more for butt-wraps, some of which they use a "shoelace" machine to create in 10 mins. If your fishing at night, who is gonna see it anyway?

Be ready for the problems everyone here, especially me ran into. For instance, I went to MANY respectable shops here on LI. And I was being quoted over $350+ for rods I could build myself for bout $160 or less, and that is buying/shipping everything retail. That is also after hearing the guys/gal (yes HER) tell me what rod I needed for where I was fishing. I kept telling them that I wanted these guides, with the stripper spaced approximately 40" e.t.c. They ask me "how the hell do yo know what the spacing should be kid?" I would reply with "Well you could start there and then test cast to finalize" They looked at me like I was a martian. One guy told me "I been doin this 40 years guy, dont dare come in here and tell me how to do this". This is just a sampling. Then the head builder over @ Altenkirchs in Hampton Bays just WOULDN'T give me the name of the grip material he was using. He said shrink tubing, but he wouldn't divulge any further. I asked him outright what it was called and where could I get it, even if I have to go through you, and he side-stepped me. Asked me to leave because he was about to finish a rod. Just talk to Mr. G. he will set you straight, he walked me through 3 rods and one 6' Gaff (he supplied materials for that) and has helped probably a hundred other guys here start building. The tackle shops (except for two) have totally turned me off, I decided it would be better to build. I am sorry if this post puts anyone down, but these are my experiences.

JC

Snipit"

Then the head builder over @ Altenkirchs in Hampton Bays just WOULDN'T give me the name of the grip material he was using. He said shrink tubing, but he wouldn't divulge any further. I asked him outright what it was called and where could I get it, even if I have to go through you, and he side-stepped me"

Does anyone know what that stuff is and where toget it?

I bought a 400.00 rod from them last year

and like the way the butt is done with that

cork and shrink method he told me it was trade seceret.

I'm going to build a gsb 1081 L this winter after going to the seminar, (mailing rege today smile.gif ) and I would like to apply that

type of butt to the rod.

Cheers

I guess I will have need to add another demo for the workshop on butt assembly using shrink tubing. Also, I will bring some different sizes of shrink tubing to sell at the Fleamarket. It is very easy to use with lots of applications.

JC, thanks for the plug. It has been fun to work with all you guys.

Hi Jameson,

Very sorry to read about your experiences with Long Island rod builders.

You missed some very fine custom rod builders on Long Island.

I use shrink tubing over duck twine on many surf rods and as a repair over synthetic grips.

Montclair Dave has field tested a special application surf rod for me that had shrink tubing installed over duck twine. It is very durable.

It can be purchased at my local tackle shop, Capt T's in Bayport and many other places. It does come in different grades and sizes.

Custom rods handcrafted by me are designed by the soon to be owner and me, together. We have a design meeting. If it is to be a surf rod, the owner brings the spin reel he will use on the new rod to the meeting. After selecting the blank, we fit the location of the reel seat to the individual. Then we temporarily position the guides in place, go to the local field and test cast the setup while I watch the line going thru the stripper guide. When we are both satisfied that the guide is positioned accurately for max casting distance we are finished.

I do not sell custom rods over the internet. I do it on a 1 to 1 personal meeting. When the meeting is over you know exactly what you are getting. Them I personally build your new rod.

Now if anyone thinks $400+ is too much for this type of personal attention please do not waste a fine custom rod builders time. I am not trying to be arrogant BUT you should hear some of the phone calls I and other builders get. People think we should work for peanuts. Experience costs!!!!

I have spent over 2 hours helping a fisherman decide which blank was the right one for him. I wish I could have charged him for those hours. At least he ordered a custom rod.

The other night I got a phone call from a guy looking for a graphite 10' surf rod. While talking with him I discovered he was giving me prices from a wholesale catalog and wanted me to build based on his prices.

I wonder if he does this when he needs his car repaired.

Sorry, but I had to uphold the rep of all excellent custom rod builders.

Capt Neil

------------------

AMEN CAP't Neil!

The experiences you speak of, are why in my 25 years of rod building, I have built maybe 3 rods for anyone else but myself and family members.

There are MANY rod assemblers out there, but, very few rod builders. Alot of guys cut corners and can supply product for a reasonable price, but that is far from custom work... Its akin to pickin a rod out of a catalog. They mass produce a few sticks, without fine tuning them to a persons particular requirements. This is easy. Gettin a rod tuned to a particular persons fishing requirements takes work... lots of it! Even when you get the right price your still workin for 10 bucks an hour!You really gotta love it to do it commercially.

There is a shop I know of that sells "Custom" rods for a real attractive price, he uses cheap components gets high school kids to throw em' together at minimum wage...The Kathy Lee Gifford of rod building.The rods are far from custom, but, not to many folks know the difference. They think a custom rod is loke jewelry, If it looks good I'll look cool usin'it.

When it comes to design, "Form Follows Function"!

The prices here in the NY Metro area are pretty high, but you usually get good rods. I went to the LI Calstar guy and checked out his Graphiters (composite boat rods). He had a couple GX7 fluke rods that someone was picking up. About $400 each for a boat rod, diamond butt wrap, triple-wrapped SIC, Fuji seat, and shaped hypalon grips. First class. He probably has 25 different kinds of rods in the shop. He does all the wrapping himself. You are basically contracting with an artist. You can specify the butt wrap type, colors, etc. I subscribe to the Western Outdoor News, a Southern CA version of the Fisherman. From one of their advertisers, I can get a slightly more expensive blank, triple-wrapped wire Perfection guides and top, and a cork tape grip for $169. Economy class. The only custom thing about it is I pick my 3 colors. They probably build 80% of their rods on the same 6 blanks, so guide spacing is a no brainer. If they can find a wrapper to wrap an almost finished rod (buttwrap, grips, seat and tip already done), they can outsource wrapping for about $25/rod. Maybe $100 in components. So the shop makes $30-40/rod, but they sell a heck of a lot of rods. For me the $169 rod is fine (actually I'd probably go with the hypalon and aluminum reel seat for $199). I got a Seeker 670 from the same CA shop for $79 a few years ago. Don't know how he did that. In my favorite green/red/silver Christmas colors. It's the nicest looking rod I own.

Hi.

Billy: Can I order 25 of those $100.00 reef rods from you, with 12" extra fancy butt wraps? LOL as Billy would say. Billy doesn't have to worry about me as his competition. He must have the patience of a saint.

Once I did a split diamond wrap using "A" thread, single threads and about 12 inches long in silver and red. Made the mistake of doing it all in 1 sitting. My eyes were screwed up for days!!!! Never again.

Triet: Getting the best product that works for you at the best price is what it is all about. I have no problem with that. The difference is that you agreed to pay the labeled price. Some of these guys want to strip you naked.

Many people do not know that there is a Federal Excise Tax levied on fishing rods as all marine products, as much as 10%. Now in New York State, plus Suffolk County, I have to add 8.5% Sales Tax on top of that. Unfortunately, this adds about 18% to the price of my product. OUCH!!!!

Get this!!!! Because I run a legal shop, shortly after I opened, I received a letter from the IRS stating an inspector has to come to my shop and check it out. This was NOT an audit. It was basically to see where the work is being done and how many people I employ. As he left, he said I will see you again it 2 years.

Now you might think, wow this guys got a million dollar business!!! RIGHT!!! I have a small part time retirement business that helps to pay the bills.

The reason I do this, besides a few $$$, is the pleasure I get fishing with many of the people I build rods for. The people I have met, rod builders and fishermen, are great people and a pleasure to have as friends.

A custom rod is not for everyone. It is for the person who wants "something special" for whatever reason.

Before I built my own rods I fished with factory rods and caught many fish. Now, I enjoy fishing with a well designed tool with a specific purpose.

Enough of this. I have to wrap presents and bake cookies.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS everyone.

Capt Neil

------------------