Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DougC

Help needed with loose rod

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Guys,

I have a Fenwick Saltstik 8'6" 2 piece rod that likes to separate after casting for a while. Is there anything I can do to remedy this? It's not a big deal, I can retighten it once in a while but I think it would be more fun if'n I didn't have to worry about it. redface.gif

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Try some candle wax, or ski wax.

When you put the sections together do you give it a little twist to get it on or no? If not try that. When you flex the rod do you feel it wiggling at all near the joint?

Send the rod back to Pure Fishing and they will replace it for free. I know its a hassle, but do it during the winter when you aren't using it.

Beware of wax!! From my understanding, it will trap grit and further abrade the ferrule, ruining the fit. If you have the ferrule seated tight and you get a bit of wiggle or noise you can sand the female end a speck at a time to seat the tip deeper (tip over butt ferrule only) or you might need to shave the length of the male ferrule for a better fit. If you are not experienced with this, you might want to take your rod to a good rodcrafter for a tweak. This is usually a simple fix when done correctly. As mentioned above, it is best to seat the ferrule with the guides 90 degrees out and twist to align, pushing a bit for final seating.

Tight lines, CD

Keep all ferrules clean. never put any lube or wax or anything on them. Clean periodically inside and out with alchohol.

the trick is to keep them very clean and twist together for the last 45 degrees or so like maddog suggested. Many people recommend a little lube (nose grease) or wax but clean surfaces are better.