Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rockhopn

How big of a rod????

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I'm looking at getting a rod built mainly to use for livelining bunker/herring from jetty's here in new jersey. I would also like to use it clamming off the beach. What size rod do you think would be best for this. I was thinking about going with a 9ft lamiglass blank.

Unless you modify one of the larger lamiglas blanks (ie GSH132 2MH) which is an 11' rod rated 1/2 - 2 oz and cutting off the tip a little and some off the but to make it the 9-10' range your looking for its going to be tough finding one that will fit your needs... The PacBay or Batson? 1208 or 1209 which is 10' (rated 1-6 oz) cut 6 off the tip and 6 off the butt would give you the 9' (which I feel is ideal for jetties) and would probibly bump the rating up to 8-10 oz which should be accomodating for the tossing of Live Bait... but also allow for some sensitivity... The other option which I know could do it is the Calstar 900M.... SUPER DANK BLANK... I have the 900L and I cast 7oz plugs icon25.gif The one down fall to this black at least I know with the L is that the sensitivity is marginal due to the tip being Fiberglass

Lami SB1213M is a great 10ft chunk/liveling rod that is a little more forgiving than some of the graphite sticks.

I second that!

Less chances of feeding the fish instead of catching them with the parabolic action of this blank.

Plus if you wanted it a bit shorter you could always take some off the butt end.

Russ

I'll third the 121 3M.

Many custom builders around the Cape take a foot from the butt to make their "Canal Chunking and Herring" blanks. Should be perfect for live-lining.

Another vote for the 121 3M. The 1209 is way too fast for flipping herring if you want them attached to your hook after the cast. Same with the Calstar. I have a conventional Calstar GF 850L set up for live lining at the canal and it never gets used. The tip is just too fast to lob herring. If you've gotta have graphite I'd go with the 120 1M. About as parabolic a graphite blank as your gonna find.