Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rthomas

Fenwick

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Al, I'm thinking of getting a Fenwick G90H-2. I like the rating of 1/2 to 4oz. This range sounds perfect for me. What's your opinion of this rod? I don't surf fish enough to justify a real good rod or 2 rods for different purposes. Most of my fishing is sweetwater bass but I get out with my son a few times a year.

Thanks in Advance

------------------

Bob Sr. (Big Daddy Breaks-A-lot)

Bob,

You might want to try the main board. I think I remember Ed J mentioning in a previous thread that he owned one of the Fenwick surf rods. Again, if memory serves, he likes it. The search feature might come up with it. Mark

Rt,

Mark is correct, I used to have that same rod (good memory Mark wink.gif ). Sold it last year to mikeybluefish. Just did not use it enough to justify keeping it around. Too nice of a rod to just collect dust.

For what you are describing, the rod sounds like it will fit the bill well. The ½ oz. Rating is a little misleading IMHO. The rod does not really load at the ½ to ¾ oz. Range. But it really shines when you get to the 1 to 2 oz range. But don't let that stop ya, you can still cast bombers and mega baits in the ¾ to 7/8 oz. range W/ no problem. I have also put 4 oz. W/ a hi lo rig on for king's. Even put as much as 5 oz. But did not lay into a cast by any stretch of the imitation with that much weight on it, just a lob.

You will be a little bit over gunned on an open beach, but that rod will serve you nicely on a the rocks. If I was to only have 1 rod, it would be a good choice.

The butt is very long to me, but I'm short with short arms, but I like a long butt. Man that don't sound rite wink.gif.

Don't know if teir still around, but I got it at the bite.com. they had it for a little over $100.00, compared to most places askin around $140.00.

I had a Penn 550SS on it, a well balanced rig. I'm not fermilure W/ the reel you said you were goin to put on it, so can't help ya there.

Good luck with what ever you chose, but I think that rod will fit your needs well.

------------------

Ed J

edj@stripersonline.com

Thanks Ed. It sounds like it's a general all purpose rod for me. If I need bigger, My kid has an extra and if I need smaller, My heavy sweetwater bass stuff will work. I remember when I had my boat in Jersey catching 10-15lb'ers on a 6' MH spinner with a D.A.M. Quick 330 loaded with 10lb. line. Boy was that fun !!!!

It's almost time...tight lines

------------------

Bob Sr. (Big Daddy Breaks-A-lot)

Bob:

I have the Fennwick you describe and find that it a great bait and plug combo.

I had a night this past fall in North Carolina when it landed 14 drum (24 to 28 inches)2 black tips and I lost count of the skates .The rod and the Penn 710z go well together ,and at under 150.00 it was a great investment.

------------------

CHUCK OF THE LONG CAST