Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cms

?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi al ,maybe you can help me out.just got off the phone with a tackle shop that told me that the blank i stripped down that use to be a spinner could not be change into a conventional.I always thought that blank didn't matter it was how it was wrapped and what side of the spine you put the guides that determine if it was spinning or conventional thanks chris

Chris,

Why not??? Sometimes I use the same blank for both spinning and conventional. The only differences are the guide placement in relation to the spine, as you mentioned, and the number of guides and the spacing.

You typically need to add additional guides on a conventional rod and the spacing is different then a spinning rod.

Hope this helps.

Al G.

CMS, I'd have to agree with Al. I have 2 conv that used to be spinners. With all the talk going around about splines. this side for casting or this side for fighting a fish, as long as you are one side or the other I don't think it matters too much, the only negative feedback I've gotten was from the reps from Lommis who say 1 blank for conv and 1 blank for spinners, maybe they've hit on something there but I'm not convinced, maybe in a specific application it matters, but in general I don't think it does. Prospector

From all I've ever heard...and from all the blank catalogs I've ever read, there's really not a conventional blank and a spinning blank...even the fellers at Loomis don't say whether a blank should be wrapped conventional or spinning.

Don't always bite when the tackle shop guy tell ya something...you done good. Also, you might wanna call him up and explain to him, politely, that after much research, you've found that any blank can be wrapped conventional or spinning...that way, he can give the next caller an honest answer wink.gif

TimS

PS: In the Loomis blank catalog, the entire blank section is labeled "Casting/Spinning Rod Blanks"...which leads me to believe there just ain't no difference! wink.gif

could someone give me a ballpark figure on how much it would cost to wrap a 9' blank conv. nothing fancy with a trigger reel seat and cork tape handle.thanks chris