Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbush

DIY lathe/sewing machine motor... can I easily change the direction of the rotation of the motor?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Im building a DIY lathe/power wrapper and would like to know if its easy to change the rotation of the sewing machine motor?  It currently operates counter clockwise and I would like to change it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  thanks

-bush

If its an AC motor I think you're stuck with the direction of rotation. Although you are used to having the butt on your left I'll bet you could adapt to having it on your right. That's how I wrap (by hand).

You could put a figure 8 in the drive belt (assuming you are going to use one) if it isn't direct drive.

Thanks buz and kelton for the input.  I figured it out.   ...well, sort of- 

Im gonna mount it backwards and run my drive belt just like faced the other way and Eureka! clockwise motor!!  Front facing is a cleaner look however this is a simple solution and its less $$ out of pocket for a new motor.   Im fortunate that I have enough room on the base to do it...

FYI to anyone out there in DIY land.  They sell clockwise rotating sewing machine motors for around $40... thats par with what your gonna pay through janns or the hole for a pacbay or similar replacement.1709260

I thought that you need motor to rotated in both directions and to change direction with some switch. Direction can be changed in this way to . . .

Never mind, it is important that you have done it :)

If you switch over to DC power you can change the rotation with a Switch ( Single throw -double pole)

[ATTACHMENT=12245]IMG_1578.JPG (1,411k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT] DC motor

[ATTACHMENT=12246]IMG_0695.JPG (846k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT] Rotation change switch

[ATTACHMENT=12247]IMG_0696.JPG (958k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT] Switch control bar runs full length of bench face

Roger Wilson on **************** Built my system, mailed to me and I installed it