Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oznavad

One foot - Two foot?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Mr G.,

I noticed that you have been recommending to some to use YSG's on some 9' surf rods. I have 4 surf rods to build XRA961M, XRA1083, XRA1205, and a GSB1081M. Where do you draw the line to go from single foots to double foots, typically? Is it determined by lure weight? Keep in mind, these are built for me, so I don't mind taking more risk of breakage.

Phil

Phil,

I like to use the YSG's on my lighter rods and move up to the double footed guides on the medium and heavy stuff. Also, I usually take into consideration the type of person I am building for and where he fishes mostly. if he is hard on tackle or fishes rocky areas then I will use the double footed guides. If he is a finesse fisherman and likes to go light tackle then I will use the single foots.

Al

Looks like I wasn't the only one spending too much money at the National.

Sorry I missed meeting you Phil .

I'm putting double foots on the GSB1081l I'm

building now but one of those 9' Arra's I brought home is going to be sporting YSG's per Al's suggestion ,thank's Al.

Ken

For spinners, I've used a combination of doubles and singles on some of my smaller surf rods (under 9') and have really liked the results. Basic setup includes two high frame doubles for the strippers and then high frame singles for the rest (4-5). For my next light surf rod (8'), I'm going to set it up "new concept" with 3 high frame single foot strippers and transitioning down to 5-6 lower frame single foots. Good luck and have fun trying different configurations.

Mark,

Go for it. After fishing for fifty years and rod building for more than thirty years I think I have learned two things:

- The sport is called fishing, not

catching. If the Good Lord smiles on us

once in a while it makes up for the less

than good days.

- Don't be afraid to experiment and try new

ideas, albeit fishing or rod building. It

never ceases to amaze me how new people

to rod building come up with new ideas

and amaze us "Old Farts".

Al