Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prefessa

Guide Feet Preparation

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Hi Al!

Just want some of your wisdom here....Since you use exclusively A thread you must do a spectacular job dressing guides before wrapping. Can you share your procedure?

What I do right now is to grind down the guide feet to a rounded,gentle slope...then I polish the feet with a Stainless steel wire wheel that Merrick Tackle used to sell as a "Dressing Wheel"(Merrick Tackle selling retail, There I go dating myself again!!!). This leaves a nice polish on the feet. I have a little trouble sometimes with the guide feet not sitting flat on the blank. Sometimes I have to grind away a bump on the bottom or bend the feet w/ a needle nose pliers.

Anyhow....What do you recomend???

Joe,

You are absolutely correct, I am a maniac about my guide foot preparation.

Steps:

Make sure the guides lay flat on the blank. Adjust them with a flat nosed pliers.

Gently grind smooth the bottom of the guide foot with a round metal file.

Use a 150 grit sanding disk to taper the guide feet to a feather edge starting half way up the guide foot.

Then buff the top, sides and bottom of the guide foot with a fine wire wheel brush or deburring wheel.

Alot of the builders I know are able to wrap the Big Foot Aftco guides with A thread after preparing the guides in this manner.

Al

I got my hands on a Craytex dressing wheel a while back from MSC supply 151 Sunnyside Blvd. Plainview 516 586-349-0330. 1 block south of the LIE. This place is a huge industrial supply house that will also cater to you if you walk in the door. Grab a catalog, they are worth it.

The Cratex wheels are a rubberized abrasive, they have small dremel points and also larger grinding size wheels, sort of reasonable too.

I have the wheel in a drill press with an arbor and it does not take more than 30 seconds to do one side of a guide to an almost perfect scratch free polished finish. I've used it for gouges, chisels etc. Dosn't overheat and discolor like a grinding wheel either. Very highly recommended!