Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

Bottom fishing boat rod blank?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Looking ahead to putting together a new rod to put my sidewinder reel on. I need some input here.

I currently use both Rainshadow and Calstar rods and very much like both of theses blanks and think a composite blank will be fine. I also appreciate the prices that these companies place on their products.

I am looking for a blank that will make up into a rod that I will use for bottom fishing from boats for mainly fluke, porgy, seabass and blackfishing. I want the finished product to be one piece and about 7'8" or 7'10". It should have a fairly sensitive tip but enough backbone to wrestle a 10 lb tog off a piece of bottom. It should also be able to underhand cast a 10 ounce sinker easily without collapsing. I use strictly 30 mono with the sidewinder.

Can any of you rod gurus help me out on this one?

Spigola

SPigs,

This year, per Oznavads suggestion, I bought 4 CAlstar Blanks and built them for use on the boat. I couldnt be happier... I would suggest either the 700 L or ML (7ft) or the 800 L or ML (8ft).. If you want it 7'10", buy the 800 and cut 2 inchs off da bottom.. If you are bay fishing, the L os your bet, if you are ocean fishing for fluke, blacks or bay fishing (15-40) chunks for bass I would go with the ML.. They really are great.. Ask Phil, he swears by them...

They arent too bad cost wise either, depending on where you buy the blank, you can expect to spend between $75-$95, which isnt bad... made up custom it'll run you $200-$350 depending on who builds it and what you want on it...

good luck,

BC

BC,

Funny you mention the Calstar 800M. I have one in the garage, a GFDH800M I stupidly cut 4 inches off the tip in an attempt to stiffen up the action. It is now a great deep water tog and cod rod.

I think, as you mentioned, if I take about 2 to 4 inches off the bottom instead, I will have exactly what I am looking foras I still w ant the tip a bit soft but lots of backbone further down.

Think I'll try to find me a dealer for the blank.

Thanks much.

Spig

The 800L minus 2-4" from teh butt is one of the best bets for what you want to do. 12oz is a little much, but it can also handle that weight if need be.

Other blanks you might want to consider are Lami CGBT841M & the 1143F. You'd have to extend the 841, and cut down teh 1143, but both of these will do what you want as well.

More thoughts.......you hold a sidewinder differently, which forces changes in rod design.

It should balance where the reel seat meets the foregrip, that means butt heavy. So when you hold the winder in "locked" postion", either normally or underneath, it is balanced.

You don't use the portion of the grip immediately behind the reel seat, conjuring up all sorts of split grip possibilities.

Butt needs to be about an inch longer, again, due to how you choke down on the foregrip.

Foregrip should be short, 3"-5", for the same reason.

I see little advantage in the sidewinder wrap, where the majority of the guides run under the rod.

A conventional wrap gives you the option to use a conventional reel.

I would spine the rod as if you were building a conventional rod. In theory, you will wear out the rod faster if you fish it with a sidewinder, but how many of us wear out rods? All about versatility.

Blankwise, I had been using heavy stuff, because I fish 40-50# mono with a sidewinder, even when fluking. I am currently hacking up an old Forecast blank for use with a 4" sidewinder for shallow water fishing. 10 tip, 7'3", 6 guides, conventional setup. Maxed out on an 8oz. Miracle of miracles, it balances well with a 229 or a sidewinder. I have a fear that the tip is too light for mono, so this one might get braid. Won't fish it till September/October to find out though.

I'm making this all up as I go along BTW. In 5 years, I might actually know something about this. Just don't fish enough with the things. Curious to know the thoughts of someone like Prefessa on this.

BC,

Picked up a Calstar 800ML today. I looked at the L, a bit soft in the tip, and the M, a bit too heavy in the tip. I think the ML is just right for what I want.

Now to get it made up.

Spigola

Spig - I use the 700ML for blackfish and like it very much. Also the 700L - which got me an 11.9lb fish last Winter. Both veddy, veddy nice.

Try the Fuji Alconite BMNAG guides on it, they are GREAT!

Lep

Been doing fine - this ocean heave on the days I can take off during the past 2 weeks has been killing me. Jones Inlet is REALLY getting nasty on certain tide/wind combinations. The channel is down to 8' at low water. Not good.

Anyway, stay in touch - the Fall is coming and so are the big black slimey ones.

Lep