Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
freddy

Practice Casting with Hardballs

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Took 2 hardballs and rigged them up to a three way swivel, 10oz totall and went to test drive the new 1509 Rainshadow and 525 custom mag both from Tres and Wayne. This is my 1st conventional.

Went easy the first cast to see how everything felt, then just decided if I am going to blow it up so be it. I dropped 6-7 ft of line out in back of me and let it rip....reeled it in and did it again and again,no blow up. After about 10 casts adjusted the reel to half magnetic pressure, wow added 15 yrds to the cast and no blow up.Went full free spool and did not like it when the balls landed to much fluf. I must have reeled the line up the wrong way because the only time I blew it up was 40 yrds into a cast bam snap, rerigged and went back at it ............. What a sweeeeet set up had no problem loading or casting 80yrds to 90yrds best was 98 yrds without straining. Not the beach but wont be long..... cool.gif

[ 09-25-2005, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: freddy ]

First.. get away from the 3 way rig, use a fish finder rig with the sinker in a tennis ball.

Are you casting 8oz.?

second...you MUST stop the spool with your thumb the instant the bait hits the ground or water!! when you practice, count when the sinker is in flight. That way when you cast in the dark you will know when to put the brakes on the spool to keep it from over spooling. (fluff).

Third...DO NOT try to wind the line back on the reel even like a level wind. the more you move your thumb back an forth the less chance the line will bite down into its self if you have a lash.

2ct.

Hey Puppy Mullet, thank yu for yur advice I will be using 8 oz sinkers and need to know how to rig the tennis ball up with the fish finder? Hardballs were a quick fix to a boring day...will also start the counting process, was confused about winding the line back up on the spool? Not quite sure of the technique your are trying to teach me, I use my thumb to move line back and forth across the spool, I am trying to get it to lie flat across the spool but am not putting to much force on it. Alittle more help would be appreciated Thanks Ted

[ 09-26-2005, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: freddy ]

Sorry.. was not very clear. Just tuck an 8oz. sinker in a tennis ball, this is about the same wind resistance as 8 an bait.

A fish finder with a short leader (about 3") will fly much better than a 3 way.

Ya really nead to get on the water to practice the winding thing. I make the line travel from one side to the other with about every 10 turns of the handle...

Was it the Rainshadow SU1509 or was it the New Rainshadow SU1569 - 13' , 50/50 split??

Bill Batson

Nice to see you here Bill, I love your blanks and the Forecast guides. . . my fav is a 1508 with your LTCVDNG for spinning, also have a 1502 rung with same for heavy.

I'm interested in that 1569, what are the specs?