Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duckwump

Purglas 350-2 as a Three Piece Travel Rod

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Greetings:

I am thinking of building a three piece travel surf rod and was considering the Purglas 350-2

I would like to take this rod to Oregon with me later this summer and possibly to Australia sometime next year (I hope smile.gif ).

I am looking for a rod that is similar in power to teh breakaway 1418. Something that can really wing a 3 0z lure and also cast 5 or 6 and bait a long ways. I intend to pendulum cast with it.

On my travels, this rod would probably be accompanied by a lighter rod, possibly a breakaway 9'6".

I have read some good things about Purglas on this board and I hear you can get them as three piece versions. (I saw there was a discussion on a 3 piece purglas 400-1 here as well.)

Would a purglas 350-2 as a three piece rod fit the bill?

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks.

Tom

Thanks for the quick feed back. What about the 350-3? Would it be a better rod for 5 and bait than the 350-2? Would the 350-3 be too stiff to cast a 3 0z metal lure? Thanks again.

Tom

I have the 350/1 two piece, 350/2 three piece and the 350/3 two piece. The 350/3 is very stiff and is perfect for large weights and big fish but for stripers and blue it is overkill.

3oz can easily be used with a 350/3

I use a Trinidad 20 and cast the YoZuri Surface Bull GT to Tarpon

For 5oz and bait a 350/3 would probably be better

Martin - thanks for the feedback. If the 350-2 will cast 5 and bait well, then I may get it instead of the 350-3. I like the idea of being able to plug with it.

It sounds like with the 350-2 weight ranges, I would not need to bring along a breakaway 1145.

Thanks again.

Tom