Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hook521

Conventional Rod Lengths

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I've seen a lot of postings on 9' and 10' conventional rods. Are there any benefits or disavantages in a shorter length than using 11' or 11.5' with say an Abu 7000 1-3 ozs. lures.

I'm considering a Lami GSB 138 L or M. I've used 9 footers in e glass for bridge, jetty and surf but they lack distance for surf use.

It all depends on what you plan on doing with the rod. I use an ABU 7000c3 on my 11'9" Breakaway surf rod. I only use it for throwing bait though. I think it is too big for throwing plugs. Of course there is always the exception to the rule. I would not be telling the truth if I said I've never thrown a lure with this rod. I throws a 6oz. Hopkins a mile! Sometimes when the fish don't want to come in you just have to go get them! Main thing is to get a rod that will do what you want. Throwing plugs with a rod that is too heavy or long will just make your fishing unpleasurable. That all purpose rod really isn't there unless your not out there that much. Then you can make due. Otherwise slowly build up your rod collection to get the rods you need.

Because I am fairly short and wimpy, the 9ft and 10ft rods are the ones I can cast and fish the most efficiently. I do have the 11 1/2 ft sticks (too heavy!)but only break those out as a emergency. Or let someone I dont like borrow when we fish together!

DPR -

Thanks for your input. I've been building up my 'collection' for the past 30 years.icon15.gif I'm trying to get ANOTHER one in under the radar. wink.gif

What I'm interested in is a dedicated conventional rod (and reel if need be) for tins, bucktails and plugs from 1-3 oz. range for beach use.

The several ABUs that I use for my 8n'bait needs and for bucktailing & plugs from bridges are NINEs & SEVENs. I'm using them since I retired the Squidders. I've never tried the smaller ABUs.

I use e-glass rods for these current conventional applications. The two 9's are an old spiral Shakespeare and a Lami MB1083M. The two 11's are Lami, one old honey blank and a newer vintage heaver in black, the #s escape me. I've used the 9's from the beach but they're rather lacking in distance.

As I'm currenty using the Lami GSB's in L&M from 9' to 11.5' for spinning use and was wondering on their use as a conventional blank but I didn't see much talk about their use in longer than 10' lengths, ergo my question. As you suggest, I'm trying to avoid overkill if necessary, as I don't have arms like Popeye's. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif