Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

Wrapping glass too tight?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

OK Al, I gotta question for yasmile.gif

I wrapped an SB136 3M this spring. It was a blem who's tip was bent at about the 1ft mark. No biggy, I wrapped it anyway, it was only for throwing bait not a beauty contest wink.gif So, after a few trips, the tip is bent even more..so I cut it down to a point below the bend and put a new tip on it. I continued to fish it, 8-n-bait a couple times...chunks, clams, etc. No problems, cast very well, fights fish even better. I noticed when I cut it that the glass at the point I cut it was apparently squeezed to tightly at the wrap...it was ugly! I figured I wrapped it too tight (*see comments under the "Thread Tension" threadicon15.gif) So, I take the now 10'6" rod to the Ditch and on the first cast with a 6 1/2oz jig...not reaching for the sky or anything, a moderate toss...first cast, snap - there goes another foot! I checked and it appeared once again that the glass under my wraps was squished...

Did I wrap it too tight? Can you wrap a glass blank so tightly that it compromises the structure of the blank?

I need to know as I want to replace this 3m with a cut down (from the butt) 4M and although I'm handling these two failures as my learning curve, I don't wanna have to go through it again smile.gif

TimS

Tim,

I don't have answer for you obviously but i know this guy that will take scraps of S-glass off ya wink.gif you know so you don'thave to deal with disposal costs and what not, like a favor, what is it about 9' foot now? smile.gif

Tim,

Since you were using a blem blank there are too many variables that may have caused the break. There could have been an original defect in the wall of the blank that resulted in the failure.

The cost savings between a blem and a 1st quality blank is too small when you figure in the cost of rebuilding it and the added labor involved.

To answer your original question, yes you can wrap with too much tension. The tension should be enough to allow you to make some minor alignment adjustments of the guides.

Al

on the first cast with a 6 1/2oz jig...not reaching for the sky or anything, a moderate toss...

/>Tim,

That is an inherently contradictory statement.

Was yours a honey rod. A few years back there was a batch of S-glas Chestnut rods that were produced with undersized walls. I saw a number of 1323M's with crush damage.

------------------

LIStriper

Greetings Tim:

Indeed if the guide feet caused the walls of the blank to yield, then yes the rod may have been wrapped too tight. The rule of thumb here is that after a guide is wrapped you should be able to move the guided with a bit of side pressure. Also... Did you use A thread? On large diameter, thin walled blanks you can actually create huge pressure on the guide feet with A thread because a heck of alot more wraps fit along the same length with the same pressure on each wrap. For surf rods I underwrap with C and overwrap with D or E thread. The larger diameter thread will require an extra coat of finish, but, if you have a heavy hand, will prevent this from happening again.

How did you like this rod? The Montauk crew uses this one alot for pluggn'(at least they used to smile.gif )

Hey Tim, long time no hearin' from ya. I hope it is just because you are getting the service you deserve. I hate to say this but it sounds to me like you have gotten a blank that maybe wasn't cured properly. Sometimes this happent and the result causes the inspection people to think it is something else wrong with the blank. If you like I will have them set aside another SB1363M for you and ship it along with your next oversize order.

Todd

------------------

Todd Vivian

todd@lamiglas.com

http://www.lamiglas.com

Thanks for the input fellers smile.gif I was definitely wrapping too tight, I can blame it on that until I know more wink.gif

Todd, that's exactly it, I haven't needed to call ya lately smile.gif A replacement blank would be a wonderful thing, I've never seen a blank collapse internally like that...but then again, I'm perty new to this whole rod building thing wink.gif I'll wrap the next one with much less tension and will report backsmile.gif

Prefessa, I underwrapped it with C and over wrapped it with C. Strangest thing, I caught plenty of fish with it, threw plenty of weight with it..yet when it broke it was the first cast in a couple weeks with it.

LIStriper....believe me, you can lob 6 1/2oz jigs and then you can reach for the sky with a 6 1/2oz jig...this was a bonafide lobwink.gif The 1209 sends the 6 1/2oz jig screaming for mercy...I'm tempted to install heat sheilds on the poor jigscwm24.gif

TimS

In between the last successful use and the time it broke , did the rod see any extremes of temperature for an extended time? A rod stuck in a car for a sunny 95 degree afternoon probably gets to about 150 F in the car. I believe this is hot enough to allow what we call a glass transition in the composite which essentially means the stress from the tight wraps will make the thread dig into the epoxy/fiber composite (very slow over time but movement can occur). Anyway , just a thought and something to be careful of. I have taken to leaving the windows just cracked about 1/2 inch when I put my rod into the car (for security) during the day time , especially hot sunny days.