Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfrat59

Hey Big Country...been meaning to ask you...

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Dave, been meaning to ask for a while now have you had a chance to fish them new titanium plated wire guides you were showing me, what do you think of them...thanks

Surfrat59

Hi,

I have installed those titanium wire guides on one rod. Unfortunately I can not say if the titanium coating makes a difference or not. The customer did like the way the rod cast.

I do not like the wire guides because of the wire feet. It is difficult to grind them so they lay to the contour of the blank. I do much better with the Fuji BSVLG on all counts.

Bob,

the only concrete Feedback that I can give on these guides is that 1)They are Strong... I have them as a stripper and 2nd guide on my 132 1L and in Montauk, I use my rod kinda like a walking pole, and in the past I have bent my stripper while walking with it this way. They are strong... 2) they dont seem to rust, the old wire guides rust in the crevaces... Ive had mine on for almost a year and I havent noticed anything like that yet 3) they are lighter... That can be good or bad, I like using heavier guides on rods that will be primarily Pencil popping rods, I like the effortless pendulum you get when popping the rod with the extra weight. Its good if your looking for a lighter rod. I haevnt built a rod with ALL titanium guides yet, so I dont know about there grooving or lack there of characteristcs at or near the tip...

I hope that helps...

BC

BC,

I havent seen these in person yet. Was wondering about the frame height?

What do they compare with? Reason I ask is that I have been wanting to build a 10' stick using "MN" alconites but they dont make a 50 in that style so I was thinking that these might work for the stripper guide?

What do ya think?

Thanks

Russ

I think they would work great... they are not as low as traditional mildrum style guides...

for a 10 fter I would use a titanium 50, and BSVLG 40,30,20,16, and 12 tip (BPLT)...

BC

About a year ago I put them on my 10' Grisley/Fenwick. Did it to keep the classic wire guide look of the rod. I've fished the heck out of it and the guides are still perfect.

How does the height compare to the BMNAG Alconites?

Lets say if I went with a Titanium wire 50 then

40, 30, 20, 16 and a 16 alconite tip on a Lami GSB 120 1L. Ya think that would have a nice progression?

Russ