Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rich L

Unbalanced Rod

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Al,

I just picked up a Lamiglas TS9 MHS 2 pc spinning rod and a Nautil 6500. I love the setup, but the rod feels a bit tip heavy for my taste. I did a search in this forum and saw a thread where you talked about removing the butt cap and adding lead shot. I have not removed the butt cap yet, but it is a flexible vinyl, and the butt end of the rod feels solid under the cap rather than hollow. Meanwhile, the top of the bottom half is open and appears to be hollow either all the way down, or at least quite a ways. Can I add the lead shot from the top? and if so how would I secure it? It seems like more of the epoxy would cling to the walls of the blank than would reach bottom if I poured from the top. Also, if it does come down to taking the butt cap off to do some tinkering, how do I get it off without damaging it or the cork tape? Thanks.

Never mind. I got impatient and curious. Ran the butt cap under hot tap water and was able to roll it off the end of the rod. The butt end had been sealed with a little clear epoxy and the butt cap had been applied to keep it in place. I took a Dremel tool and carefully shaved through the epoxy, being careful to stay well clear of the walls. Then I was able to proceed with the weighting of the but end.

Hello, Rich

Here's what I do to load a rod:

I'll begin by making a cork plug which will fit inside the butt (THE ROD biggrin.gif). This acts as a stop for the bird shot. Start by pushing the plug in about an inch. Fill the butt with shot and replace the butt end. Check the balance. Keep pushing the cork in until you reach the proper balance. Don't push it in too much, because it's a ***** to remove. It may take a lot of weight to balance a long rod. Once you've acheived the right balance, mix some epoxy in a plastic cup,add shot and filler her up.

If this rod has foam grips, it will usually have tape to make up the butt end ID. I'll remove the tape and fill the butt end with lead to make up that space. This one is a little messy. You will have shot all over the place. I find it will require less shot inside the blank because there is more weight at the butt tip. It also requires aligning the butt end with the foam.

GOOD LUCK

TS

I tried something a bit different. I figured I was going to need about an ounce at the butt end to make a difference, but I didn't want to increase the total rod weight much more than that. I took a 1 oz. sinker and wrapped it tight to the grip near the bottom of the rod with a rubber band. Then I was free to check out the feel of the rod without taking anything apart. As a matter of fact, it was just enough to bring the rod to a slight rod tip up position when holding the forward grip. Then I took a small anvil and a hammer, and beat the sinker into a cylindrical plug that would fit inside the butt end. I applied a thick epoxy to the inner walls of the butt end of the rod, inserted the lead cylinder and buttered behind it with a touch more of the epoxy. Finally, I stood the rod upright on a piece of waxed paper until the epoxy hardened. Then reapplied the butt cap.

You can wedge the bank sinker in the rod butt without using epoxy, and my experience (using this approach on two rods) is that the sinker will stay put from friction only.

If you insert the weight into the rod butt so that the small end of the weight is facing the bottom of the rod, you can remove it later with needlenose pliers, if you put a different reel on that rod and the weight needs changed or removed.

(This isn't my idea; I posted a similar question a few months back and someone else suggested it, maybe John M, can't remember for sure.)