Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duckwump

Using Hot Water to Remove Tip Top?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hi All:

I recently build a 9 foot surf rod for a friend that has a fuji alconite concept tip top on it. This is the type that has a spur on it that you wrap with thread to help secure it. I also used a small amount of 5 minute expoxy to secure the tip.

(I had started using 5 minute expoxy because problems I had with tip tops loosening with regular tip top cement, though I supose that practice is overkill with these spurred concept tips)

Unfortunately, my friend cracked the ring in the tip and I have to replace it. I am a little worried that if I apply heat via a heat gun to loosening the bond that I might apply too much heat too unevenly and harm the blank.

I was wondering whether it might not be a better idea to get some boiling or hot water and put the tip in water. I thought that method would more evenly heat the tip top and more effectively break the bond.

Will this harm the blank? If boiling water is too hot, would hot water within a certain temperature range be OK?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Tom - I've used the heat gun a few times, just don't leave it there for too long, and don't put it 1" from the blank. I'm not suggesting that though, since I don't have enough experiance (I haven't effed up yet) to say if it is a 100% foolproof method. I also don't know if the boiling water method will work.

5 minute epoxy, hot melt glue, the never ending arguement. I used to use strictly 5 minute epoxy, until I had 3 tips loosen while Blackfishing over the past 2 years. Seems teh epoxy gets brittle, and I throw my rods around a bit. So I'm giving hot melt glue a chance now.

Epoxy has a breakdown somewhere around 350F give or take, so I doubt that hot water will do the trick even for the 5 min stuff. I have been using Flex Coat Thermal Plastic Tip Top adhesive for about 20 years and never had one come loose. The trick I use is to cut a little piece of glue and put it inside the tip top tube and heat it until it liquefies or even bubbles slightly. Apply glue to the blank and again heat it up until it starts to bubble slightly, the bubbling guarantees that you will get a good bond. Pre heat both the tube and blank tip simultaneously and put it all together.

The problem with the hot melt glue is that once it comes in contact with a cold surface it hardens and solidifies. Also as you push the tube on to the blank it will squeeze out some glue that is why it is important to have glue on both surfaces and they must be HOT in order to get a good bond.

Grab the tip with a plier, heat the tube with a lighter, keep the flame on the metal, poof! tip is off.

Heat guns and boiling water put too much heat where you don't need it IMHO.

gad

Wana remove the tip by putting only enough heat on it for the adhesive to let go?

Hook a paper clip into the tip top, hook a spring (like the kind used to close a wooden screen door) to the paper clip. Hook the spring to something solid pull the rod / clip / spring back so there is tension on the spring and secure the rod to something with a clamp.

Heat the tip top with a lighter and the instant the adhesive lets go, the spring will pull off the tip top.

I hang the rod (sometimes I have to use a step ladder!) by the tip guide ring using a shaped piece of coat hanger. Let it hang free about a couple inches above some cushion - a chunk of carpet works for me. For some reason I have always used a wrap of cotton string wet with plain water wrapped just under the tip guide tube. This acts as a heat-sink to protect the rod blank. Then I heat it using a mini-torch or sometimes a high temp soldering iron right on the tube. (Cut and peel away the wrap and finish first of course.) When it gets hot enough the rod falls free.

For just top sections of two-piece rods or light one piece, I add weight to the bottom by hanging a pound or two of "something" from a lower guide.

For really stubborn cases or small blank diameters, especially since I'm usually not trying to save the tip guide anyway, I just file away the tube by hand with a mill file and peel away the tube.

I've used 5 min epoxy exclusively for about 20 years and have had to remove a few. These always

work for me.

Craig

I use the paper clip and rubber band trick. As for heat I want quick hot heat so I use a butane torch. Sometimes the heat from a lighter is to slow and before you know it you melt the tip of the rod before the tip top comes off