Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prefessa

The Silver bullet

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hi Al:

What could you share about fluke fishing with these? In the past I have had no success with them, but, the ones that I tried had a cheesey nylon hair fly attatched to the ball. As a fly tier I know I could do alot better with a homemade fly on the commercial ball. I fish predominately Raritan Bay(Reach Channel, Sandy Hook Channel, The Ammo Pier, Keport Flats ect.)

I know you and "The Crazy One" beat up on the flatties with this thing. Any pointers???Information?

Pref,

I am going to post an article with Tim on fishing the Silver Bullet. The article is the new version called "Crazy Eyes" for the green glass eye inlayed in the ball. Everything you need to know is in the article.

I agree with you that the production teasers could be improved upon. I have experimented with tying my own that have proved very successful. The key is the color "matching the hatch" throughout the season.

Also, it is imperative that your hooks be kept razor sharp. A diamond hook hone is essential.

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 05-15-2001).]

All I have to add is make sure you use a teaser with it!! Look forward to reading the article, and after watching you fish the other day, maybe I'll now be able figure out what I was doing different from you. As you know, I was busy clearing the bottom of Sea Robinsw allowing you to get nice sized keepers. wink.gifwink.gif

I do think the color made the difference, and I may have too much flash tied on my trailers and teasers. Billy

If I may add...a bunch of us did very well out at Montauk last year using hammered bullets with a crystal flash tail hook and a crystal flash teaser. I also used a crystal flash tube fly over a wide gap hook which worked well (got my 9lber on it). All was tiped with shiners with squid strip or squid head. Top fish was just under 12lbs with many 5-7lbs.

Can anyone post a picture or link to see what the "silver bullet" looks like... have an idea, just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Tom,

That hammered bullet is deadly.

Here is another tip. Replace the hook on the bullet after its been chewed up with a 4/0 Gamakatsu or Owner spinnerbait hook and attach a 4-inch chartreuse sparkle Fin S fish or split tail grub. Bait up with a short strip of fresh bluefish belly. It's deadly on big fluke.

Al

Hello -

Let me add a few extra pointers when using these deadly silver bullets. Be sure to use light (braid line) and bounce the bottom regularly. If you don't feel the bottom.... You are not working it right! As for colors, I always try to match the hatch...but when they are finicky, change colors and that generally does the trick! wink.gif The rule of thumb is... Bright days, use bright colors and overcast days, dark / natural color! Also, don't overkill it by using too heavy of a bullet. Start light (slack water) and increase the size/weight as the current starts to move!

These lures can be used from boat or from shore.... All in all, this is a killer jig! wink.gif

"Crazy" Alberto