Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Don E

boat blank

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

going to NC / Oregon inlet late Jan , Stripers / Charter boat...of course i need a new rod....conventional, not decided acid or reg (wrong?)...I prefer 8'-8.5'...i don't boat fish for 'em in NJ, so I need a new stick...any suggestions....use with a ABU 7000 / 50 # PP...or maybe a new reel to match it up...i appreciate any suggestions...blank between $110 - $150

GUSA 85 Mega Mag cut a bit from the tip, or an 85 Monster Mag left alone.

If you wanted a Composite, a Calstar 850M, or a Lami CGBT961MH.

I don't do this type of fishing, but I think all these will work just fine, as weil a host of other blanks.

Thanks B40, I had the GUSA's in mind, and I'm gonna go thet way...i have 2 of the 85fx (model?, I always forget) 1 -3 oz, these are my main plug rods...handle 20# fish no problem...

to change the subject a bit...have you ever heard if GUSA will make the bigger 1 pc rods? I spoke to them in the past and asked but never gota tyes or no answer

DOn - I think you said you had an 85XF, that's the model number. I have compared the 80XF to teh 80 Mega Mag, 80 Monster, and the United URS80XH (The United eqivalent of the GUSA 80MOnster). How much more do you need in teh rod you are looking for? The 80Mega is a bit more parabolic and will handle larger fish. I've been using this rod almost exclusively for Blackfish the last 2 months, and it ha handled 22#'s of Blackfish (doubleheader 14 & 8) surprisingly well. I would definately use this for Bass.

I also have th eURS80XH which I have used in teh Tortuga's for Mutton Snapper up to 15#'s, and I caught a 30#+ Jack Crevalle with it. This rod is a freaking beast, but is very light. I also used it for Jigging TUna, but each tim eI hooked up I broke off with it. TO be 100% hnest, I cannot tell the difference between teh GUSA & UNited for this specific model, which is why I built mysel fthe UNited. This rod will cast a 12oz jig without a problem, and is another one I would use if I Was targetting Big Bass in a spot which required heavier lead.

Where are you located?

REgarding the 1-piece thing - What I was told is the oven they bake thier rods in will not handle any rods over 8 1/2 feet (or maybe 9 feet?). This was the answer they gave me back in February.

If you wanna swing by and check these rods out let me know. The Mega & Monster I do not have blanks for, only finished rods. I am also planning to order from GUSA in a few weeks again, need a few MEga Mag's for other people's Tog rods.

in NJ near Sandy Hook, with my experience with the 2 GUSA's I have . I'll buy one without bending it first... I'm leaning towards the 80 mega mag, I'll check the United blank..the $$ might make a difference... I'll use it for the boat and bunkerheads off the local jetty's... thanks for the feed back...if these blanks came in 1 pc, 10' plus..Lamiglas would have some serious competition..

There is a slight difference between the GUSA & UNited for the Mega Mag model. I couldn't tell the Monster Mag apart. The United, for whatever reason seemed stiffer than the GUSA for the Mega Mag. Granted, I have noticed some blanks vary one from teh other. Specifically the 665 & 705 DHX - each one is different from teh next. I dont' like the 665 as I had one break on a FLuke - and I had a feeling that was going to happen once I finished wrappin git and saw how stiff the bend was. Unfortunately, I was right.

I live in Staten Island, if you wanna drop by just let me know.