Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gadwall8

Carbaloy guides

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I know Carbaloy is a popular choice for wire line rods. Carbaloy appears to be popular amongst California rodbuilders for conventional boat rods as well, I'm not familiar with the stuff at all confused.gif

Q.

What are the avantages/disadvantages of Carbaloy?

Happy Monday smile.gif

gad

The use of Carbaloy guides is as you say primarily for boat rods with wire. My friends and I used them on our jigging rods at the canal. Super braids and dacron can be very abrasive lines. As you work your jig, the rocking motion of the rod makes the line act like a saw in the tip. At times can even be heard sawing back and forth in the Tip Top. I have had to replace harloy guides as they have been groved by these lines over a season. For years all of the Lami 1215M's I built for jigging all had carbaloy. I've never had to replace one due to normal use. Big Dave

Dave...

Aren't carbaloy also a lot more brittle than most guides? I've used carbaloy a lot on boat/jigging rods and remember guides actually shattering or cracking after a good rap against a 'gunnel or transom. I was just wondering about the difference between carbaloy and the newer guide materials.

Hey gadwall HappyWave.gif

3 yesterday a.m...north shore

I've seen a lot of Silicon Carbide (SIC) guides shatter and break. But I've never seen the ring of a carbaloy crack. What I've seen often is the frames letting go at the solder joint where the frame and the ring join together. But the ring itself I've never seen fail. Not that its written in stone I've just never had it happen in my 12 years of boat fishing.

I don't like the Carbaloy frames. the material is good. its a little heavy too. I'll stick with SiC for tips.

Surprised to hear you have had problems with hardloy wearing. I fishe dthe canal the last 6 years using cortland spectron and hardloy guides and never a problem.

I have broken SiC tips by falling or banging them on the rocks. I just fisgue its part of the game , like losing jigs.

with wire line, you have to go with something that will not wear and you have carboloy or sic. carboloy won't wear, but will have the solder break from time to time and the frames do corrode. sic's will work, but can be a bit more brittle, but at least the ring stays on the frame. hardloy, forget it.

I think a logical alternative to the carbaloy or SIC tops might be the Silicone Nitrate guides from Fuji. I do not know if these are as brittle as the SIC but I bet the frames are more durable than the dreaded carboly soldered frames.