Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Linesides

Another one for you Al

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Regarding underwraps:

I built my first two rods last winter, and after putting on the underwraps for the guides, placed the guides and then put on the overwraps, and epoxied it up. I've read in your article that you reccommend applying finish to the underwraps before wrapping the guides on. What purpose does this serve? I would almost think that bare thread would be a better protection for the blank from the feet, rather than having the feet sit on finish. Just curious, and appreciate your expertise.

Thanks, Linesides

Linesides,

Good question that requires a long answer. Another very well respected professional rodbuilding associate came up with the finishing method outlined in part 4 of my rod bulding series of articles that includes applying a coat of finish to the underwraps.

After adopting his method for the last five years I am a firm advocate of it. The primary reason to coat the underwrap is to lock the threads to the blank so they will not move when the blank flexes. This will significantly slow down the process of finish cracking at the guide foot. In addition, it helps to protect the underwrap color from color fading.

Al

Once again Al, you're a great help, and thanks. One of the rods I built last year (an XRA1321) is already cracking slightly at most of the guide feet after a decent amount of use. I'm hoping this new process will help with that and I'll let you know the outcome further down the road.

Many thanks,

Linesides