Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hatterasman1

Blank for flounder fishing

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I've been boat fishing for flounder in Chesapeake Bay with a G Loomis MBR 844C. Its a great rod but if the current gets moving, it just isn't enough. I'd like to build a 7' casting rod, somewhat heavier than the Loomis, but less than broom handle; something I can drift with 8-12 oz if necessary. Any help in the $50.00 to $100.00 range? Thanks.

Rick,

My first thought is to ask you whether you are using mono or braid. It's hard for me to believe that you would need that much weight in the Chesapeake unless you are fishing the inlet. I use braid fishing up here in Montauk with heavy tides and deep water and rarely go above eight ounces.

Two great blanks to consider are the Lami composite CGBT841ML or the GFC84M.

Al

Thanks a lot Al, for the question and for the suggestion. I have been using mono,(old habits really do die hard) but should probably try some Fireline. This summer, fishing in forty feet of water, I had several days where I could not feel bottom at all with 8 oz. and the rod did not want to handle 10 oz+. Will braid make that much difference? Do you have a braid preference?

Still it might be nice to have something heavier on board, and I'd like to build something this winter.