Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mick83

light heaver blank

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I use a Lami 10' MHS for 90% of my bait fishing.

Great stick. Very versatile.

And 10' two piece suits me for storage, travelling.

It is a tad light for 8 & bait though. It will do it but I'm afraid to really lean into the cast, especially with a big head on the hook.

I've got some heavier sticks that will throw the weight, but I hate using them anymore because they weigh a ton and some places I fish you have to hold the rod.

So, can I get some recommendations for something between 10' and 11', two piece, just a little stouter than the Lami 10 MHS. Something that will toss 8 with ease and 10 if necessary, but won't weigh me down while I'm holding the rod. Gonna be built as a spinner. Thanks.

2 piece, i'd say the st. croix premier would be about the best you can find in a factory rod...

for one piece, a breakaway SDFC10H is an awesome stick.. I can cast a 10 oz sinker 140 yards with it and it is light as a feather....

Thanks for the reply TB.

Think I'm going with a custom here.

The Rainshadow SU 1209 that Big Country posted about in his NEW RAINSHADOW BLANKS thread sounds like a possibility but I believe it's one piece.

[ 03-22-2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Mick83 ]

Up to 8', top or bottom piece is no problem for storage, travelling.

I should have said the rod could be up to 12' but I don't really think I need more than 10', maybe 11'.

Lamiglas GSB 120 2M...it's 10' and 2 piece...rated to 12 oz...will throw up to 8nBait, but for me the tip is a little soft (8 size)...

Personally, w/o knowing exactly what your intentions are, a shorter Heaver at say 10' is rather inefficient IMHO...the last thing you want is that shorter arm (arc) throwing a heavy load...makes for a lot of harder work to get a long cast!

If you really want a stick for 8nBait and need to move up to 10nBait in a pinch, I would recommend the Lamiglas GSB 144 2MH...it's 2' and 2 piece...rated to 16 oz... I have this blank built on a custom Heaver...will throw the snot out of 8nBait...at 10nBait it's a little soft if you are a hard caster... Very light and easy to load! The tip is about 7'...

Poppy

Poppy, I already have the Lamiglas GSB 120 2M in the form of my factory rod. The Lami blank catalog shows it rated to 12 oz (no way) but the finished rod is rated 3-8 (about right IMO).

I am considering the Lamiglas GSB 144 2MH you recommended, maybe a bit cut off the butt, maybe not. Thanks.

And now that I study my 2001 Lami catalog (newest one I've got) more closely, I note that they make an 11'6" two piece (GSB 136 2MH) with the same weight rating as the GSB 144 2MH:6-16.

So I wouldn't have to cut off some of the 144 if I wanted it shorter than 12'.

Those big Lami blanks are expensive.

[ 03-23-2004, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Mick83 ]

I've got an '04 Lamiglas catalog and the 1361MH (one piece) is the only GSB 136 listed. BTW you have to be careful with the lami factory ratings. The 1361MH and 1442MH are both rated as 6 to 16, but the 136 has a 20 tip and the 144 has a 12 tip. Doesn't make sense to me, especially when they are almost the same weight.

Steve

Steve, I agree with you about the Lami ratings being off at times, especially with the blanks.

I mean how can a blank be rated up to 12oz but their own finished rod on that same blank be rated only up to 8?

If I remember correctly, Todd even acknowledged in a post here that the blank catalog needed some fine tuning.

Aiko, I couldn't find the blank you suggested in the All Star site.

Actually, I couldn't find much in the way of surf sticks there. Someone else recommended the 11'9" rod; couldn't find that one either.

I know this to be true. the 136 1MH can throw 10 and bait with NO problem. load it as hard as you want, it aint giving...

Also, the XRA 138 1MH, is even built for more wight than the 136 1MH. My XRA 1381MH can EASILY throw 12 and a BIG CHUNK. and not even feel the laod. its a monster.

But, Ill tell you, for price and for lightness with the ability to throw alot of weight, the new SU 1209 from rainshadow is the real deal. I know its only 10 ft, but man, that rod can handle alot of weight.

BC