Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Charlie M

Harnell 931

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hey Al. I just found a Harnell 913 of my Grandfather's and wanted to rebuild to start as a family heirloom. Do you have any info on this rod and any ideas on how I should wrap it. It is heavy...so I am thinking it would be a bait or livelining stick. Thanks for your help!

Charlie

Oops...my bad...I meant 913...thanks BK. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Charlie M (edited 08-31-2001).]

Charlie,

I am not familiar with that rod model. I once had a Harnell 2-piece spinning rod. it was heavy. It has white rubber grips, Varmac chrome on brass reel seat and stainless steel spinning guides.

Please send me the general specs of the Harnell you have and maybe someone can provide you with some info.

Al

Charlie the Harnell or Harrington equivalent is shown in the old Harrington catalog as being a Saltwater spinning or surf blank 2 piece,12' butt 1.133tip 12 weighing in at 19 oz. and rated for 20-35 lb.they used a different line measuring system back then. The original blanks were extremely strong but being glass over time there is a fatigue factor to be considered.Harnell has moved fairly recently to the mid west,they have a web site whose url escapes me for now,but the wife of the original owner is still in charge and might be able to offer you some additional info

John

Ditch, that's an interesting site. Most talk on the board about Harnell/Harrington rods has a certain nostalgia to it. Anyone here fishing a current-production, modern Harrington rod?

Yep---I have a fairly new Harrington 542. 10' parabolic taper with the backbone to lift a cement block, but it weighs a ton. Good for almost anything, from 2 oz and up lures, jigging the bottom, and 6 oz and bait. The Harnell 542 was the old standby eel rod for a lot of the old-timers, and Al Bentsen used to use it (cut back about 4" from the tip) as his rigged eel rod before graphite came along.

I used mine a lot in May/June for bucktailing from Moriches west jetty, and it is ideal for that. You can really lean into a fish to try to stop them from getting around the front of the rockpile, without worrying about popping the line or ripping hooks loose. It bends right into the reel seat.

Bill Klein has one and another Harrington blank he bought from a shop in Brooklyn, Name-It on Bay Parkway. But, I hear the owner had a heart attack and the place is closed.

Frank Esposito... where are you? I used to hang out at the original Name-It B&T. The 542 was the jetty stick in those days. Coupled with a Squidder and 50# micron the rod pulled many MOBY bass from the snotty stones of the Breezy Point Jetty. Nate Piazza lived in Bensonhurst so he was a local. He used to eel the cape beaches with Al. That stick is a beast.. The walls on that blank are so thick that it could probably survive being smooshed against all those rocks.

[This message has been edited by Prefessa (edited 09-06-2001).]