Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
qhg

Lami Blank

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I received two white Lami blanks in the mail yesterday and was wondering if there is anything wrong with them.

First: they both have about a dozen little burrs on them (distributed throughout the length of the blank). Like there were grains of sand on the blank just before they put the final finish on.

Second: one of them has about 1/2 inch of excess finish at the tip. Looks like a small strip of gum was on the tip just before the blank was coated white.

Is there anything wrong with these blanks? Should I sand out the imperfections or send them back?

Thanks in advance.

Q,

Are these 1st quality blanks or seconds. If they are 1st quality they should be labeled with the lami logo and the model number and also packaged in a plastic sleeve. if they are infact 1st quality blanks then i would return them.

If they are seconds then there is no warranty. Not knowing how deep the cuts are into the wall I can't answer your question. However, if they are just surface scratches you can probably sand them out.

Al

Al,

They were firsts. (they came with the sticker on the but and a decal for post build aplication)

Bought from a mail order located next door to the Lami factory.

When I called to describe the problem, they checked their stock and found that Lami had sent them defected blanks.

The defect was bumps on the blank, no expination as to how it happened. Just poor QC I guess.

They are sending me new ones.

Thanks,

Q

Follow up,

The mail order called me yesterday to say that he walked over to Lami to look at their inventory. He found that none of their blanks were perfect either.

He said the Lami guys told him it was very hard to get the white blanks with a perfect finish. That they usually come out with a few "bumps" in them.

He took the "best" two he could find will send me those. But that I should not expect a perfect finish.

Does anyone have a white Lami blank with a "perfect" finish?

Q,

Who are you buying them from? I purchase Lami white blanks and they are in perfect shape.

Like I said in an earlier post, all 1st quality blanks come in a plastic sleeve to prevent scratching when being shipped and handled.

Al

QHG:

Since Lami Discontinued their "Original" Honey" finish and went to their current "Baby Diarrhea" color I have been using Black blanks exclusively. This is by far their best finish. I have seen the smooth white not hold up to abuse. I don't believe they make White Spiral any more, but they also held up well.

Hey Al:

White Spiral Lami's I guess I am dating myself again. I'll never give up my honey Lami's with the Varmac reel Seats! (Opps! There I go again!)

Al,

I got these from Angler's Workshop in Woodland, WA.

They came in the sleeves with the sticker on the butt, etc.

There are no scratches, just bumps under the final coat. When I run my hand down the blank, I can feel the bumps. And one of them had a fouled up tip.

This morning, I called Lami directly and spoke to Phil. He said that all of their blanks have tiny bumps on them. And that they are just more obvious on the white blanks. When he checked his inventory, he said he could see the bumps. "Maybe dust got on them during production, but there is nothing structurally wrong with them."

He suggested I speak with the production manager who will not be in until Tuesday

Am I being too critical?

Q

They are probably just paint runs. Tape on your guides to see where the bumps end up. If the will be under the guide underwraps, then gently sand them off and wrap over them.

If they are on any exposed part of the finished rod, then it's your call. You can gently sand them off, clean the area and then apply a thin coat of finish.

Al