Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crafty Angler

Shortening a Lami Blank

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Al - Well, just when I thought I had it all figured out for my 9' Lamiglas custom (I was figuring on a GSB108M) a friend of mine asked how I liked my 1201L - which is to say a lot - but at 10' it gets to be too much

for my home waters, although it's a great BI and So. County (RI) rod.

Anyway, his suggestion - and he's been building his own for quite awhile - was to get a 1201L and shorten it a foot at the butt, if I liked the 1201L action as well as I do. And I'd still be able to toss a 3/4 or 7/8 oz plug with it.

Al, you're the answer man and I respect your opinions. What do you think?

Also what's the sweet spot for the 1201L vs. the 1081M?

Thanks in advance

Crafty

CA,

I have fished extensively with the GSB1081M and I think the sweet spot is about 1.5 ounces.

I have no experience with the GSB1201L. While the Lami catalog rating is 2-6 ounces, I serious doubt that. I think Ditch Jigger will jump on this one.

Al

Oops...sorry,Al, the above was prematurely posted.

Geez, I woulda thought the sweet spot on the 1081M was probably a little higher. Will it throw a 3/4-7/8 plug effectively on the low end? That's my real concern.

What is the real (not the one listed by Lmiglas) max on the upper end?

Thanks, again

Crafty

The 120 1L is more limber and parabolic than either the 108 1L or 1M. You can either take the foot entirely from the butt, or cut the tip until a size 11 fits snugly--no more than an inch or two--and take the balance from the butt. Lami lists the 120 1L as having a sizze 11 tip, but they have been known to vary from blank to blank. If it is already larger than 11, leave it alone.

I find the 120 1L easy to cast for lures from 3/4 oz to 3, with 1.5-2.5 being optimum.

2-6 is off base. 4-12 for the 120 1M is even further off base wink.gif