Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

Reel Seat Choice

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

This idea was given to me by a friend, and for the life of me I couldn't tell him why it was a bad idea. He wants an aluminum Aftco seat on a chunking stick (SMB 1364M). They don't weigh any more than a regular graphite seat, the rod will be spiked, and the only time he'll touch the seat is when he casts, so I don't think cold will be too much of a problem.

Can anyone think of a negative against using this seat?

I forgot to mention, cork tape butt and foregrip, with an Aftco Seat. It'll certainly look custom, that's for sure.

I know two people who have done it.. only downside is that they tend to have a wide gap and will not clamp down tight on smaller reels...

I think Fish Hunter had one and it won't work with his avet or a 525 mag if i'm not mistaken.

I'll give you a few reasons:

-The collars are big and wont very comfortable

-More risk of corrosion from elctro-somthin or other that occurs between metals.

-Nothing holds a reel better than a Fuji seat

-A Newell has too short a foot to be held by a Fuji 22 even, forget about an Aftco.

Billy, at some point you gotta give em what the want. It is his rod afterall.

I forgot to mention.......spinning.

Giving them what they want - it's sort of my job to give them what they want, but at the same time advise them on wha tI think the best components & etc is for the rod - then let them decide what they want. Never really considered these seats for anything other than Offshore. What happened is he saw an Ice Blue Aftco seat on a Tuna rod and said it would be cool if they had it in Green, which they do. I'm just trying to "research" this and see if there is something I'm missing.

Newell's need their own freaking reel seats @#$#@$@#$%. I think Pro Gear makes their own seats designed for the alleged small feet on a PG - I cannot figure out why there isn't some set of standards ALL reel companies abide by. I guess that would make entirely too much sense.

Built a project surf rod to try out some ideas, aluminum 24" butt extension, aftco seat in matching color to wraps,couple other little things,it worked out well. Yes the collars are a little large but work like a trigger seat, yes they can get cold, so put on gloves or go home.

They are available in 3 different lengths, I used the shortest one, holds everything I have including the short foot on a 6500 mag elite.Also used cork tape grips.It looks really slick and is perfectly functional, I say go for it Billy!

wink.gif

My first thought was corrosion. Not bad rot , just enough so that white crust builds up.

My second thought was cold. hate to grab that rod some late Novenmber night.

I ask why , not why not.

I asked that myself, the answers made sense which is the only reason I considered it. Nobody else has it (unique), it will match with the guides & butt wrap (sweet), and he's spiking the rod anyhow so he won't be in contact with the reel seat all that much (un-funtionality).