Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vitamin sea

Nu-Skin

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I have two very nice boat rods that have been used so much the hypalon handles are wearing away. (Too much time in the rod holder and not enough time fighting fish?) I saw a product called Nu-Skin on ebay that is supposed to cover the old handle - it is a heat-shrink tube that covers cork and hypalon handles. Anybody tried this product? Is it any good? Or should I just replace (cut off) the old handle material and put a new one on?

PS I spend most of my time "lurking" on the lure building form. This is my first post on this form.

Like shirnk tubing?

The Nu-skin I knew of formed a protective layer over cuts & blisters which ripped off. I used it when I played Baseball games, after tearing my fingers open dunking basketballs. Often times you'd rip off about a dime sized chunk of flesh, the Nu-skin would cover this and give you a "new" skin. Worked well.

I went to the item. You can get it much cheaper elsewhere. You can get 5 ft for less than he is selling 40".

Seachaser, I've looked on the internet and have only found it on the one site on ebay. Any idea for other sources? Note that the "kit" contains double-sided mylar tape to keep the heat-shrink tubing from slipping. I guess I could get that elsewhere if I could get the tubing at a "reasonable" price. Then I would try it out and if I didn't like it, I could cut it off.

Fishsticks has it in 5.5 foot lengths for about 21 bucks. From my experience, you can get the foam tape called camper shell foam tape at a local hardware store. This will give you enough to wrap two rods + extra to work with. The foam tape comes in several thicknesses.

Heat shrink tubing works great for your purpose. Find a local tackle shop that deals with a wholesaler named Merrick Tackle. They carry exactly what you want. Get the regular not the econmy, sold by the foot.