Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cowhunter

Blank extension

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Al,Got a question, (actually two)...I have a 10'6" Ron Arra XRA 126 1MH Spinning Surf Rod, a real meat stick. I am planning on Stripping it down and turning it into a conventional capable of throwing some really heavy stuff, nothing under 5oz.. What would you recomend I use to stick in the but end of the rod to extend it to say 11' - to no more than 11'6". Would like to go the lightest and strongest possible. Have never extended a rod before. Another question I have. Have you ever stripped down those Ron Arra Blanks? I have a few of them but never stripped them down. Sanded down the regular Lami's with no problem, the only concern I have with the Ron Arra Blanks is the brown coloring in the blank seems to be more of some type of coating. Don't want to end up with some crazy colored rod! Thanks in advance....

CH,

The Arra 1261MH is my favorite blank of the series. As a heavy conventional caster it is sweet and can really boom them out there.

Extending the blank is relatively easy. You need a piece of scrap blank the desired length you want with the O.D. the same as the butt end of the 1261MH. I use scrap pieces of ugly stick blanks that I have in the shop. You also want the piece to have good wall thickness for durability.

Next is to fashion a plug that will be approximiately 12-14 inches long. Again, you want a piece with good wall thickness. The plug is first fitted to the 1261MH so that 6-7 inches fits up inside the butt end. The fit does not need to be perfect since you can take up any play with drywall tape arbors. Insert the plug into the blank 6-7 inches and mark the plug where it comes out at the butt.

The next step is to fit the plug to the butt extension piece. Again, if it's not a perfect fit you can use drywall tape to take up the space. Now gently sand down the plug with 320 grit paper to just break the finish and clean off with alcohol and a paper towel.

Using 1/2 inch strips of drywall tape fit the plug to the butt extension. Make sure to leave at least 1/4-3/8 inch of space between the bands of tape. Keep checking to see if you have a good fit.

Once the plug is fitted to the extension, thoroughly saturate the butt end of the plug with slow cure epoxy glue. Keep turning the plug and work the glue into all the spaces. Insert the plug into the butt extension and gently pull it through and turn it slowly to distribute the epoxy glue until it is properly seated. Clean up the excess glue with alcohol and paper towels.

Lay the extension piece flat and let it cure for 24 hours.

Now you are ready to glue the extension and plug to the blank. Use drywall tape to fashion your arbors for a good fit. Saturate with epoxy and insert into the blank, again turning slowly to distribute the glue. The extension piece and the butt end of the blank should fit together and leave virtually no gap. If there is a small gap, not to worry since that will be filled in with epoxy glue when you put on your butt grip.

Once the extension has been seated let the glue cure again for 24 hours. That's it.

As far as your finish question and sanding the blank, the only suggestion I can make is to repaint the blank.

CH, since you live in northern NJ, contact me if you have difficulty getting extension pieces. You can come up to my shop on a Saturday morning and we can fit it up.

Al G.

Hey Big Al G.,

This past weekend I met Cowhunter and he is really a good egg! We ought to set some time (schedule) and get together with him!

Later bud! smile.gif

"Crazy" Alberto

p.s.: Yes, he got my seal of approval. wink.gif

Cowhunter,If you decide to eliminate all the work for an extention on the XRA 126 1MH 10'6",which is an excellent jigging,plugging,and bait fishing rod. there is the option of the model XRA 138 1H 11'6" one piece rated for 4-12oz.This model was designed for Cape Hatteras beach fishing, employing heavy bottom bait rigs.Just trying to help,GOOD Luck and Best Wishes, Ron