lamiglas mb1143f, bt1083m

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

From Lamiglas blank catalogs back to 1989:

BT108 3M 1989 to 2004 : 9 3/4 oz.

MB114 3F 1989 to 1992 : 10 1/4 oz.

1993 to 1994 : 11 1/4 oz.

1996 to 2004 : 9 1/2 oz.

Seems that the boat and trolling blank has been consistant over the years.With a 6" butt extension it's been my favorite for smaller wood swimmers, poppers and pencil poppers.Sweet spot is 2 to 2 1/2 oz. Spinner or conventional, it's all good.

The MB114 2F is a different story. Several years ago,against my recommendation, a friend built one. The third cast with a 2 oz. pencil popper it blew up.

MB96 3M 1998 to 2004 6oz.

1989 to 1997 4 5/8 oz.

MB108 3M 1992 to 2004 7 oz.

1989 to 1992 6 3/4 oz.

Russ,this road you're traveling down, asking about all the weight changes over the years, seems all too familliar to me. So I gotta ask, What are you trying to build? What've ya got in mind? Describe this rod your dreamin' about. I,too, am an old fiberglass-loving dinosaur in serious danger of extinction. Built a few glass plugging rods in various weight categories since the early '80s. Guess there is about 20 or so now, many with modified actions, usually butt extensions. Almost all of them Lamiglas, so I am kind of familiar with their line. Probably a few others like me in this forum. If you tell us what you are looking to do, maybe we can make some suggestions or report on what we have built, strong points and shortcomings.

Lamis vary from year to year and maybe from run to run in terms of wall thickness. I have MB963M's from 30 years ago (ink logo 2 feet up from the butt) and they are as thin or thinner than ones today. On the hand, I have BT's where the difference between one with the ink logo and one with the decal logo is dramatic in terms of weight and wall thickness.

I have built many rods from lamiglas blanks dating back to the early 1980's, some of my favorites (MB963M, MB1083M, MB1143F) were modified by cutting the tip and butt to acheive different actions for the type of fishing that was being done. I noticed that the MB line of blanks made today vary in terms of weight from some of the blanks that I have built in the past. Is this because of better resin that is being used than in the past? Is this just because lamiglas is using less glass in the process? I'am still using many of my lami fiberglas rods with braid line for bottom fishing (blackfish, chunking striped bass, drift fishing with various sinker weights). Here is an example: MB1143F cut to fit a 11 or 12 tip and then cut the butt to get the length needed is a great bottom fishing rod, same goes with the MB1083M. I would like to make a few more of these rods. Will the blanks made today , when modified have the same action as the older ones?

MB1143F's still make great rods. I have one manufactured August 2004 cut to an 11 tip and 7'11" overall that I hope to use Thursday. Is it the same as 20 years ago? Is anything? I like the newer blanks better. They seem lighter. The action is very close. Can you duplicate an older rod by cutting and wrapping a new one exactly the same? I don't think so. Cranking out a blank is not an exact process. But hey, that what makes it interesting.

Guys, I just weighed 3 of the 1143F's in stock. Each weighed 9.6 oz.

Over the years the weights and the wall thickness has been affected by the changes in type of resin and then going to a lesser resin content. The patterns used today have the exact same amount of fiber in them as 20 or 30 years ago.

Regards,

Todd

I still got my rod from the early 60s. good as the day I made it. On its 4th rap. 6702 Use it al the time. Like to have a penny for every fish I caught with it.