Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Softhackle

CGBT841M

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Mr.G. Nice recomendation on the heavy eeling stick. I built one for my buddy in Montauk and gave it to him as a present last week. If you saw the weather up north last week you know a big rod was called for. I just got back the rips turned too nasty for my small whaler. I told Billy 40 I would post something here about the rod. Well guys it was a pleasure to fish. It handled 12 oz of lead and a large snapper just fine. It has the power to turn big fish and the tip has just the right amount of give to keep them on the hook. The next rod I will build will be the cbgt781m, a little shorter and a little less stiff. It should be good for smaller rips and 10-25lb fish. Billy let me know how your blank works out. PS: Mecca was good to me, Bass, Blues, Albies, Flounder, Porgies and Sea Bass, more than once all in the same day... Bruce

Bruce - thanks for the report!! I have the 781M ready to go, now all I need is some Bass to put it to the test.

12oz + a snapper comfortably, huh. Amazing a blank that light can handle that much weight. Will see how it handles 16oz and an eel - I'm sure still no problem.

Billy

Guys,

I have used the 841M bucktailing bass in the race with 20 ounces of lead, tog fishing in the eastern Sound on wrecks 140 feet deep with 16-20 ounces and I have customers who jigged cod with it on Georges Bank.

I have just built it taking 2 inches of the tip and 4 inches off the butt. This is for a stand up tuna chunking rod. It should work very well.

Al

P.S. Billy, Just got back from Orient. I am a little waterlogged, but the scup fishing was redhot. I had two false albacore on the Impact and 10 lb braid at Orient Light. We switched over to bucktailing bass and blues and were back at the dock before 1 PM. Sorry you couldn't make it.

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 09-21-2001).]

Yeah I will agree with Mr.G, The 841m could handle 16oz of lead + bait without any problem. I used large snappers 12" and 6-12oz of lead and didnt feel compromised at all. I went to the tackle shop and compared some blanks the other day. I liked the the 781m and picked one up. The 781ML and L were too light in the tip for my taste. I wish the shop had the whole line so I could compare, but they didnt. I'd like to look at the c6609, c526, gfc84m, cmb842f. I need to get a good set of eeling rods so I can match the rod to the size of the fish. Take care, Bruce

Well, I knew it would handle the 16 + eel. Al has promoted this blank very well - rightfully so, it's sweet. Now I just need to fish it to feel it for myself.

Bruce - I am making the L for Fluke & Weakies, and maybe even other bottom fishing depending on how much lead it can handle. The ML I am making into a spinning rod to jig Bass & Blues from a Party Boat, with fish hopefully up to 25 pounds in the next few months.

A - glad to hear you had a good day. Bass, Blues, Porgy, Albies - all on light tackle. Can't be beat. I'm sorry I didn't make it myself, especially considering I sat here on SOL all day!! Will speak with you soon.

Billy

Billy, I had the same thought about the 781ML/L making a good Fluke rods. I will be going to Montauk Oct 20-27, If you are going to be in the area your welcome to fish a day or two with me. Or, if you ever see a Red Expedition attached to a Boston Whaler in the lighthouse lot just stop over. I usually fish the early morning on the beach then head out in the boat for some rip fishin. Take care, Bruce

I just checked the Lami site - didn't see any braided line rods which met the specs of the 841M.

Speaking of which - why are the specs on this rod so far off? Everywhere I look, the blank is listed at 10-25 with a size 6 or 7 tip. When Al first told me what the rod was capable of, and I saw the specs, I imagined some sort of a "magic material" composite. Then I opened the package, and there lay this "beast" of a rod.

Similar experiances anyone? BIlly