Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
marlinman

which rod

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hi Al,

I asked this in the main forum and got some good replies, but I'm looking for some more input. I am brand new to surf fishing (though I have been a fisherman for 25 years or so.) I am interested in purchasing a spinning surfcaster, to be used mostly in NJ, but with a few trips a year (hopefully) to LI. Not interested in throwing chunks, just plugs, jigs and eels. What would you recommend, as far as production models? And what would it cost me to have you build me one (you can email me if you dont want to discuss price in an open forum.) I have handled a 10' Lami in the Montauk surf, and was comfortable with it for 8 hours. I like a faster action rod, am about 6' and 195 lbs. I know there is no single rod that will cover all the bases, I'm looking for someplace to start this adventure. Thanks for your time.

Dave

Al will ask what kind of water you fish and what kind of payloads you like to throw. You wade on sand beaches, you get one rod; you toss eels from a jetty, you'll want a different one.

Thanks for the heads up Brian... I'll be throwing 1-3 maybe 4 oz I suppose..Like I said I'm just getting started...I'll be fishing different parts of South jersey into Delaware, beaches and jettys alike...I know different rods for different situations, but I have to start somewhere. For the sake of making a choice, lets say more open beaches than anything. And I'm not looking for a firm number, just trying to get an idea of how much more a custom stick would be...I would imagine we're talking around $500 or so. Thanks again.

Marlinman,

BrianBM is my manager. I guess he doesn't know it though.

Seriously though, if you were comfortable with a 10 foot Lami casting for eight hours then you should stay close to that rod until you gain a little more experience.

If you want a rod that will cover both beaches and jetties than I would go for a 10 foot rod. Anything longer would be cumbersome on jetties.

There are many blanks to choose from that will be excellent for surf spinning with lures from 1-3 ounces. I am sure many of the readers can offer suggestions of different blanks that can work. Lamiglas, Allstar and Sabre are sevral to consider.

Let's continue the dialog offline.

Al G.