Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ahab7

Help withSpiral Wrap Set Up

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

From the number of positive comments I received to my last post about a spiral wrap surf rod, I have decided to go ahead with the project. Several of you mentioned the need to insure it is properly setup. I would appreciate any information on guide selection, number, measurements and placement and overall rod setup. The blank is a 10 ft. Lamiglas Perigee PSB 1202L, rated 2 to 5 oz. -will use a 6500 size Abu. While you are at it, what colors do you feel go well with this green blank?

Again, thanks in advance for you time and advice.

Paul

Ahab, I did a write up on spiral wraps, shoot me an e-mail at vivonab@colsonservices.com &/or billy.vivona@verizon.net, and I'll send you a copy of it.

Basically, test cast, test cast, and test cast. Make sure the line shoots through the guides without any "distractions". Line doesn't know it's spiraling around the rod, as long as it's straight, it should cast teh same as teh guides on top.

I used alconites, can't remember the model # but the ones like nsg's, the heavy alconites. I put my stripper at 0, then 60, 120, 180. Be sure to do a static distribution test to make sure that the line touches all the guides in the center. I believe my sizes were 20, 16, 12, 10's on out. If you're not using a level wind consider offsetting the stripper 10-15 degrees and you may be able to make the transition with less guides. Spiral to the left in this case and it will be easier to level the line on the reel.

Haven't set up my 1202M yet. But here is how the setup worked on the ASW1209. Sprial left. Stripper guide at 22 degrees, then 65, 115, and 160. Then ran three out to the tip on the 180. Guides were NLG's. 25 20 16 16 12 12 12 and a BMNAT 12 alconite tip. After the stress test and getting the stripper guide at the right distance from the reel face. (Abu 7000CS Rocket) I eye down the blank from the reel seat and look through the guides. I then move the guides just enough that I can clearly see through the first three guides with a clear and straight path. Then move to the second guide and do the same. And then the third. This has given me a very straight and clear pathway around the blank without any sharp angles to hinder the line durring the cast. There are many..many ways to sprial wrap a rod, and this one has worked well for me. Personally, I do like to off-set the stripper guied just a little to help keep the line path straighter and cut down on the angle created when the striper is placed on the zero. I use both CS and CT frames and have had no noticeable line pile-up from either. But this is just what has worked best for me.. Good luck with you first sprial.. FYI.. they do become addicting.. biggrin.gif

Thanks for all of the advice. I will let you know how this rod performs when finished. This board continues to be a wonderful resource for those of us who are "new" to rod building. smile.gif