Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duckwump

Rainshadow SU1569

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I have a SU1569 that I hope to soon build into a surf rod. This is a recent addition to the rainshadow line and I think it is an incredible blank.

It is 13 feet long in two equal pieces. It is very light. perhaps 3/4s of the weight of a 1509 but feels as powerful if not more than the 1509. . Some folks may find it to be too stiff but it is great if you need to hurl 8 and bait a long ways. I am told that Rainshadow also makes a two lighter versions, the 1568 and 1567 which are probably next on my list. I really like the fact that it is two equal pieces.

I got it from the folks at **** (great folks!). I will report out on it as soon as it is built. Tom

Yes. I think the SU1569 is the blank behind the new Stinger. I am going to use black under wraps/over wraps with blue trim wraps partnered with forecast blue zirconium-ringed guides. I think it will come out very nice. Tom

I have all the thread work done on the rod (which given my skill level is not saying much smile.gif ) and will spend the next couple of days laying finish on the wraps. I will be down in Hatteras next weekend and part of next week and will report out on rod when I get back.

I am also building a Rainshadow 1509 for a friend of mine and I think that is going to make a great rod as well.

I am not suprised that Tres is familiar with the blank. He has a lot of good stuff on his site.

Tom

I'd be real interested in a side by side comparison of the 1569 to the 1509 as I was considering the 1509 blank for a winter build. Other than the more equal sections aspect of the 1569, what are the differences supposed to be?

I stopped by Fishsticks during the week and took a look at the 1569. Compared side by side with an Allstar 1509 (they didn't have a rainshadow in stock) the 1569 is noticeably lighter and is a bit stiffer in the tip but with a slightly faster action. Both are rated to 12 oz if I recall correctly. They are virtually identical in length. The 1509 was an inch longer.

/Scott

Fishstcks are good people. smile.gif I am not going to be able to hit the outer banks this weekend like I hoped. So it will be a week or so before I can report back (at least from fishing it.) Tom

I can attest to the action of the RainShadow 1509 2/1 9ft tip and 3.6ft butt. Awesome rod with great casting abilities. I matched it with a Penn 525 Mag custom both from HO and just plain out smokes........ cool.gif

I haven't yet made it ot the Outer Banks so I have not casted the rod yet. After letting it cure for a week, I flexed the rod and I think it is going to be an excellent rod. I think it has lots and lots of power.

I'll be at the beach next weekend and will report back.

Tom