Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishSticks

Cutting a butt down????

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a factory 13' rod online. I really like the rod, and the brief casting session that I had last night verified that she is a beauty with 4ozs. But there is one BIG problem for me. The reel seat placement is about 4-6" too far from the butt for my comfort while retrieving. I'm only 5'5", and I have short arms. I'm not going to rush into anything, and I hope that it grows on me. However, my short arms may ultimately force me to do some customization. I don't think that moving the reel seat is an option? Would a rod builder even be able to do something like that?

More likely, I would be cutting about 6" off the butt of the rod. Trust me, I'm not excited about cutting a pretty new rod, but I'm afraid that I will have no choice. I guess that it would be best to tape the area that will be cut. Ensure that I can get a straight cut, use a hack saw, and then glue a butt cap back on. ???????

My biggest concern is that the grip is shrink tube. I don't know how the rubber is going to look after being cut, or how the rubber is going to effect my ability to get a good cut...it might get ugly!

Also, would I have to be concerned about the integrity of the rod? That is, would cutting the rod in this manner have a potential to damage the rod beyond just an ugly cut butt?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Grow your arms longer!! smile.gif

Remove the shrink wrap and everything else down to the blank from the area to be cut. You only need a 1/4 inch wide bare spot. Then use an abrasive cut off wheel , like on a dremel and rotate the blanks while sinking the blade in a little each revolution. . Put the butt cap back on.

6" from the butt will affect how you cast it. Maybe it would be better, or maybe worse. Try casting by choking up on the butt and see if it makes a negative difference. If so, leave it and do what I do, cast, then put the rod butt between my legs to retrieve.

A good rod builder can relocate the reel seat for you and replace the shrink wrap....what's at issue is how much it would cost versus the cost of the rod. This is the reason I started building my own rods. There is something I wish was different on all of my store-boughts.

If i were going to shorten the butt, i would just put it in a miter box and cut it with a DULL hack saw right through the shrink tube. Then just pop a new butt cap right over the whole thing. If you get the right size cap, it should fit very tight over the shrink tube and no glue needed. PacBay makes a "Doorknob" butt cap that will work.

The miterbox will work fine. Otherwise wrap a piece of masking tape 360 around the blank as a straight edge and cut. Hacksaw, dremmel, all work fine. Go slow turning the blank as you go as not to split the fibers when you go through. Soak the cut off end in hot water, slide a small probe under the cap, spray in a little windex and twist. If the cap is a little loose when moved into new possition apply with 5 min epoxi, clean excess with rubbing alcohol.

using a hacksaw can very well damage the fibers in the blank. a dremel is a better choice. and, moving the reel seat changes the line distrubution thru the guides. you would need to test the layout again and possibly add or move guides.

Cutting a finished rod will change the action of the rod...this is something that many fishers overlook when considering to shorten the rod's overall length.

Although hard to understand, the action of the cut down rod will be slowed some no matter if the tip or the butt is cut...

Six inches off the butt of a 13' rod will not slow the rod's action that much and therefore you may not notice it...

Good luck...

Poppy